03-04 cobra WOT issues??

2BluePits

Jun 30, 2009
Sorry for a newbish question, but I searched. I am very interested in getting an 03-04 cobra, but I just saw a thread by Uncle Meat with all the 03-04 cobra FAQs, and I read that if you go wide open throttle from a 40 mph roll to about 150 mph, and hitting 5th and 6th gear theres a chance that you can blow the motor. This is the first time I have read about this, all I have read is how bullit proof the svt internals are, but I really dont want a car where I have to worry if I hit 5th or 6th gear i have a chance of blowing the motor. So is this a common problem

• Sponsors (?)

it is not common. It all depends on the driver. If you are redlining every gear and powershifting then yeah you could blow an engine. Just don't drive like a complete total tard or an 18 yo kid and you should be fine:flag:

cobra

ive read that also,,,mine has been at high speed..and found that 150 is fast and where can you go to run at that speed long enough to blow??????????

if this helps mine just turned 237k but is stock.. and not beat on

The problem is that this motor has tight tolerances. When you keep on the gas that long the blower starts to generate so much heat that the pistons melt. Usually 7 and 8. The head cooling mod does not prevent this from happening, but it is a precaution that people think will help because it cools thoe two cylinders off. It's just not cooling it enough to where that WOT pull won't affect it.

Long story short, don't do it. Too much heat builds up. 2nd-6th gear pull at WOT is insane. Don't blow your motor or kill yourself/others.

The problem is that this motor has tight tolerances. When you keep on the gas that long the blower starts to generate so much heat that the pistons melt. Usually 7 and 8. The head cooling mod does not prevent this from happening, but it is a precaution that people think will help because it cools thoe two cylinders off. It's just not cooling it enough to where that WOT pull won't affect it.

Long story short, don't do it. Too much heat builds up. 2nd-6th gear pull at WOT is insane. Don't blow your motor or kill yourself/others.

Tight tolerences? Not true at all. I dont know where people get the idea that these motors have any different clearences than any other motors. The entire issue is the thickness of the top land on the pistons. They are the weak link in the motor. I run WOT for 30 mins straight. I run 4k to 7k for 20 to 40 min races in 100+ heat. Anyone who pushes the stock motor hard will break a piston. Just swap out to some Manley 18cc dish and get them top coated. No more issues.