03/04 Ring and pinion gear ?

oakeydoke

Aug 20, 2004
Will ring and pinion gear out of a 2003 and 2004 mustang fit a 92 mustang 8.8
rear ? Can get the whole rearend for $75. The guy said they come with 3.73s
any information would be helpful! Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The ring and pinion will fit as long as it's out of a V8 mustang and not a V6. The V6 stangs use a 7.5 rear. $75 for a complete rearend is dirt cheap. Is there anything wrong with it. It will have rear disc brakes which will require 5 lug wheels as well as adifferent master cylinder and brake booster. The '99 and up rearends have a wider track so watch out when in comes to getting the right backspacing.

Keep in mind the 99+ mustangs have a much wider track in back. I know 94-98 are .75" wider on each side. I think the 96+ is like 1.4" more on both sides so it won't fit. (the rear end that is) but the whole carrier assembly is the same.

maverick0716 said:
Yes, the WILL fit as long as they're out of an 8.8 and not a V6's 7.5 (like the other guy said). I do know one thing though......they DON'T come with 3.73's.
Does anyone know the gear ratio? I just want the ring and pinion gear? Thanks Brothers!!

Look at the tag on the rear end cover If it's all bent up it was probably removed when the gears were changed, if they were. If it doesn't look like it was touched then read the tag. The first 3 numbers on the bottomw row of the tag is the gear ratio, the next numbers are the axle size.

An example of how it would read would be:

"3 08 8 8"

Which would indicate the rear has 3.08's and is an 8.8" rear.