03 cobra t-56 install into foxbody help.

yellowzilla

May 10, 2011
I blew my t-5 and have a chance to buy a 03 cobra t-56 built buy 6 speed inc. It is suppose to be built to viper spec so it should have no problem handling my 500 ft. lb. It is just the transmission. I can get my driveshaft shortened and probly build a crossmember.

Is it worth it to get the 03 cobra t-56 with the gear ratios 1st-2.66 2nd-1.78 3rd-1.30 4th-1.00 5th-.80 6th-.63. My t-5 had lower first and about the same last gear. Will this just make my car slower? Or worse on fuel? I have 3.55 rear end gears.

Also i'm wondering what all i would need to swap this into my 1993 limited edition convertible foxbody.

Where can i find a bell housing or adapter? I know I need a new yoke for the 31 spline output shaft. Where could I get that?

I live in Alberta, Canada too. So if there is a place here to order stuff for the swap that would be great. I'm trying to do this on a budget.

• Sponsors (?)

Ya I have the kennebell blowzilla/flowzilla supercharger, ported sr heads/ gt-40 lower, and custom cam, Meth injection. The torque curve is probly pretty flat. I may upgrade my block in the future to a dart 347 or 363 but that wouldn't be for awhile. What kind of rpms would I be spinning with 4.10 gears?

By the time you are done, it may just be better to get yourself a tko 600.
You won't have to deal with the crossmember situation (which i think is like $400) and won't have to do anything with the driveshaft other than change the yoke. Likely you won't have to goto a 4.10 rear gear either.
A 2.66 first gear has to feel like a lifetime in first when driving, while i don't love the 600's 2.87, it's a hell of alot better than a 2.66.
A 600's 5th gear is just a .01 from the 6th you are speaking of.

The 6 speed is a novelty trans in a fox, it doesn't have much purpose other than sounding cool to say you have one.

I believe the tko will cost more in the end and this one is rated at 700 ft.lb. This transmission has a hardened 10 spline input so I can reuse my centerforce clutch.

I don't think the crossmember will be hard to move back. Can i not grind off the welds and move the crossmember back and weld it back onto the body? How much farther back does the t-56 mount compared to the t-5?

I believe the tko will cost more in the end and this one is rated at 700 ft.lb. This transmission has a hardened 10 spline input so I can reuse my centerforce clutch.

I don't think the crossmember will be hard to move back. Can i not grind off the welds and move the crossmember back and weld it back onto the body? How much farther back does the t-56 mount compared to the t-5?

I recall that the pictures I have seen of the T56 crossmember is a whole new crossmember. I believe you you will also need a shortened drive shaft.

Edit: don't depend on my memory, but read it for yourself: T56 installation in a Fox body. See it in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine. http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0701_ford_mustang_t56_transmission/index.html

Make sure the viper spec trans has provisions for a cable driven speedometer.

Also not sure the hardened 10 spline input shaft is an upgrade.
It's kinda a contradiction to want a trans to handle 700ftlbs but yet run a 10 spline shaft, which is the part that alot of 03 cobra guys break.
The 26 spline is the upgrade.