03 cobra t56 in 98 GT

bdcardinal

tree hugger
Jun 10, 2003
santa barbara, CA
hey, i know that the 03 cobra t56's use an electronic speedometer whereas the 98 gt that i have uses a mechanical speedo. i have a chance to get a 03 cobra t56 for fairly cheap, and was wondering if i could convert it. would i just press off the electronic portion on the output shaft, then press on a mechanical gear? i dont mind pulling a trans apart. and i wouldnt mind spending money on it. im getting the trans for about $600.

• Sponsors (?)

$600 lucky guy

anyways I think you need a speed cal and just drive shaft and stuff. My bro put his mach 1's T-3650 in my 98 gt;although, we haven't hooked up the speedcal. Hope someone can chime in for ya

not quite 100% sure but you will need a bellhousing too. Will a predator or sct work instead of a speed-cal? just wondering. see if you can find some more t-56 trannies for that low price! i think you might have to get a custom made drive shaft too

well its not coming with a bellhousing, so ill get a SFI approved one. the car is a street/road racing car, as you can tell by my mod list.

im actually pulling together everything i need to build a complete drop in motor as i dont want more than 1-2 days of total down time.

well as far as the speedo goes I know you can get mechenical speedo t-56's I just don't know if they make a mechanical tail section for that model.

I would just call D&D performance and get the info from them.

1. speedo
2. crossmember
3. driveshaft
4. reverse lockout solinoid
5. I think the floorpan will need to be modified for more clearance in one spot

are all issues you will have to deal with but I am sure there are solutions to all of them.