03 Cobra Wheel Hop...?

ROOFLISS

Jul 11, 2003
I have an 03 Cobra with all the typical mods, to include IRS bushings upgrade & Eibach IRS springs, but I still get crazy wheel hop when I get down on it--all the way through 2nd gear. No dyno yet, but I'm probably pretty close to 500hp easy w chip, pulley, filter & exhaust. I'm running 18" Nitto 555 radials on Cobra Rs. Anyone experiencing this problem. PS I'm running a Bassani x-pipe w hi-flo cats into Dynomax Bullet Race Magnum mufflers and they sound pure T wicked!!! I had Flowmasters, but they had a weird sound w the x-pipe that I didn't like. Anybody need a like new set of used 2 chamber?

ROOFLISS

• Sponsors (?)

Try QA1 rear adjustable shocks..from what I heard they'll correct about 90% of the problem....i'm gonna get some for mine too.Also your low profile tires might be contributing to the problem ,less sidewall equals less traction even though it will corner better but not straight line traction.

First off is this a vert? If so your stock shocks are horrible, and don't dampen worth a flip. A coupe is slightly better, but stick not enough dampening for that much power.

Also, are the Eibachs progressive rate?

IRS bushing would also be a plus, but by the sounds of it, you have too low a rate spring and stock shocks. If so, some better shocks and higher rate springs should fix the problem (and the bushings also).

your stock IRS Brace should be enough, and Drag radials will hop worse than ET streets or street tires. Also the cold weather is the worst time for wheel hop.

and yes the 18" rims with less meat also make the situation real bad.

Yes is a convertible! That's the only way to go--a cruiser and a bruiser! I do have IRS bushings by Maximum Motorsports, which Bernie of MMFF recommended. I'm running 285/35/18s. I'll probably go to either 295/35s or 305/30 Toyos. I've heard 305/45s, are available, but I hate that donut look. The QA1 shocks sound like an option, are they expensive?

ROOFLISS said:
Yes is a convertible! That's the only way to go--a cruiser and a bruiser! I do have IRS bushings by Maximum Motorsports, which Bernie of MMFF recommended. I'm running 285/35/18s. I'll probably go to either 295/35s or 305/30 Toyos. I've heard 305/45s, are available, but I hate that donut look. The QA1 shocks sound like an option, are they expensive?

Qa1 are alright. If I remember right, they are somewhere between 130-160 each.

You defintely need some good shocks... preferebly adjustables.