03 cobras on a 92 gt....

iLkYsPoNy

if she's a tranny then... well I'd do her.... it..
Hey guys I've had my 03 Cobras on my 92 GT for a while now and I have been thinking about going bigger on the tires ( rears some how didn't get very good tread life :rolleyes: ).

I have 275/40/17 on the rear and there were NO issues with the quad shocks or anything else for that matter. I was wondering what would happen if I took the quads off and put like say ... a .... 315/35/17 on the rear? Not sure how they would react with no shocks back there as far a being daily driven.

Also, I would like to put some 275/40/17's on the front. Now with the 245/45/17's on the front they don't rub but on a very rare occasion. The problem is they don't look good on such a wide wheel. Anyone think it would cause a problem running that tire up front?

stang2.jpg

stang1.jpg

stang.jpg

There's some pics to show what I'm talking about with the front tires.

• Sponsors (?)

Just did the exact swap to a 90 GT. We put 285-40-R17 Goodyear Eagle GSC on the rear, 17X9 wheel...no quads...no rubbing. I would say 315's will fit, but I would highly recommend extended lugs and wheel spacers if need be. I know a Mustang tuner here in Mt. Clemens Michigan that has 345-18's on the rear of his notch...which is FRIGGIN sick!!!!

For the front....we used the same 17X9 wheel, with a 275-40R17 Goodyear Eagle Gatorback. They were Corvette tires and they fit with some help.
1. 1 1/4" wheel spacer on each side because they rubbed the strut...HOWEVER he has coil over suspension and a tubular K member and control arm. The wheel hit the spanner adjustment, and the tire rubber the spring.

2. They do rub and not even at full lock..I told him this would happen, but he didn't care. He just wanted the stance. I think extended lugs up front with 2 1/4
" spacers would be better, but I would not recommend it.

3. He has drive 5 miles and already has rubbed the paint off of his rocker molding edges. I just repainted the car too.... damn

Hmm, I think I would put my back tires on the front before I went ahead and bought new tires all the way around. I would drive with the 275's up front and the 245's out back ( goofy looking ) for a day or two to see how it works out.

My main concern was putting a bigger tire out back. I wasn't sure if taking the quads off would affect the drivability.

Im surprised you got them back there with no probs. My 03 cobras with 275s ripped a hole in the quad shock :( Now that they're removed im seriously considering some spacers to get them back on there because the car wheel-hops like a mother****er. I would not suggest the 315s simply because without quads they will probably just hop and you'll never be able to use up the extra tire width.

I've read on more than one occasion where guys get wheel-hop from removing their quads, even WITH aftermarket upper/lower control arms.

Seriously ... is it really worth it just to be able to say you crammed some 315's under there? If you're that hard up for traction, buy some DR's and/or lift bars, and forget about 17"+ wheels - bigger tires with shorter sidewalls don't grip any better than a wide set of 16's.