03 GT oil change?

Just to add to the confusion, I took mine into the local Ford FastLane for an oil change Friday. Cheap insurance, since even an oil change will get recorded in the OASIS system. They billed me for 7 quarts of oil, so of course I questioned it. The tech told me they put in six with a new filter, fire it up, check it, add another 1/2 quart. If it's overfilled, it's in their records that they did it, not me.

I took it out for a 100 mile shakedown with my new 4.10's yesterday, and no leaks, no signs of blowby.

Go figure,

Jerry

• Sponsors (?)

03SteedaGT said:
ok I put in like a .25 or so in the filter just to get it wet. then add the rest of the oil. I work at jiffy lube and I know that the 02's hold 5qts. and the 03's hold 6qts. that is going by the OM on both years. but i don't want to over fill my car again!!!!!!! 3k hard miles with 7qts can't be good for it!! Anyone with any info please help!!!

02 GT's hold 6 quarts. Don't know where you got that info...(?) It states that in the owners manual and is what I put in. I use Motorcraft 5W-20. After doing an oil change, I start the car and let it run for a minute. I then shut it off and check the oil. The oil line is right where it should be.

gtrackd02 said:
so i am confused? my 30000 mile 02 gt has been running a quart high the whole time i've had it? (6) or what????? I would think it would've blown up by now considering i drive like a jerk! oh well i guess i'll never know!!

The V6 uses 5 quarts. The V8 (GT) uses 6 quarts. If you look in your owners manual, it shows you that, or you can go here http://www.brianmefford.com/refill_capacities.jpg I took a screen shot of the page that shows you how much oil to use.

You're gonna love this. I stopped by my local Ford Dealer service dept. today (it's just down the street from where I work) and asked the service desk Tech how many quarts they use for a 2003 GT oil change. The answer:
"It takes just under 7 quarts, so I you be charged for 7."
Then I asked how they dealt with the Ford TSB regarding improperly marked dipsticks. The answer was they know nothing about any TSB; they have been dumping ~7 quarts into GTs for years, and nobody has complained.
The danger of excess oil in the sump is that, if the lowest point of the connecting rod splashes the oil, it whips some of it into a froth. And froth has poor lubricating capabilities and will be compressed instead of pumped (by the oil pump), resulting in low oil pressure. To visualize this, beat a slippery egg white, until it turns to a foam, then feel the difference in lubricating capability.

It could be that there is still plenty of clearance to the lowest point of crankshaft travel even with 7 quarts, so there is no issue. We would need a sight glass in the oil pan to be sure.
If the pool of oil in the pan measures 18" x 6" at the top, then an extra quart (67 cubic inches) would raise the level by approximately 5/8 of an inch (on level ground).

I have a question to anyone that changes their own oil in a 99 to 04 GT. How do you take off the filter without getting oil all over the place? The oil filter is in a crappy position and there are things in the way and it makes it hard taking it off without making a mess. This is the only car I've had that the oil filter sucked at removing it without dumping oil all over the place. For one, it's already pointing at a downward angle, so when you unscrew it, oil starts dripping all over and there isn't anything you can do about it. At least none I've found so far. Any suggestions?

I would also like to voice an opinion about something. People that complain about the Motorcraft 5w-20 oil don't know what they are talking about. The oil may look runny but just think about it for a minute. It's a synthetic oil which is VERY different than conventional oils. It runs cooler in the summer. It warms up faster in the winter. It flows better in all seasons. It gets into places a thicker oil couldn't as efficiently. You won't find me putting anything but Motorcraft Synthetic 5w-20 in my 2002 GT. I also change it every 3,000 miles. I laugh at the 5,000 mile recommendation Ford has. Oil is cheap. Repairing a motor is not.

brianmef said:
I have a question to anyone that changes their own oil in a 99 to 04 GT. How do you take off the filter without getting oil all over the place? The oil filter is in a crappy position and there are things in the way and it makes it hard taking it off without making a mess.

I take a piece of aluminum foil (steal it from the kitchen) and from it into a V shape, then stick it up under the filter.

Now as far as the amount of oil goes, I just changed the oil & filter on my '01 GT yesterday. 5 quarts and its right at the top of the hash marks on the dipstick. The owner's manual says 5 quarts and does not distinguish between the V6 & V8.

SO WTF IS GOING ON?

Did Ford really change the oil pan in 2002 or 2003 to hold more oil?

Im confused as crap now :nonono:

I was told around 5-6 quarts for my 03 by Ford. First time I changed the oil myself I put in 5 quarts and used some of the 6th for the oil filter. Let her sit and I was halfway on the dipstick, fired her up for a min or two and checked for leaks, cut it off and let it sit for a few and I was still at around halfway on the dipstick.
Last week I changed it again, did the same thing and I am right at the bottom of the dipstick :shrug: I almost had to empty the 6th quart to get it around the halfway point again.
I will never overfill an engine with oil, I messed up and was putting 6 in my old 5.0 and couldnt figure out why I was blowing oil out everywhere. Not my brightest moment, but the guy I bought the car from told me thats what he was putting in it, and he didnt have the manual of course. It never showed over the full mark, so I thought it was dead on. After replacing pretty much every seal I have, my granddad and I got smart and realized we were over filling it. We started putting in 5 which took it right to halfway and low and behold 2 years of doing that and no blowout :banana: .
Im going to call a guy I know here in Raleigh at a Ford dealership and see what he has to say about all this stuff, I dont want to underfill it if the dipstick is off, but again I would HATE to overfill it.

351CJ said:
Did Ford really change the oil pan in 2002 or 2003 to hold more oil?

They must have made the pan bigger in the 2002+ GT. If your manual says 5 quarts for a 2001 GT, that's what you should use. My manual for my 2002 GT says 6 quarts. After changing the oil and putting on a new filter, I run the engine for a minute and shut the engine off. I check the oil, and it's right where it's supposed to be. Not too much. Not too little. It's right in between the lines.

NFCStang said:
I'm pretty sure (without runnning out to the car to check) that the 01 GT manual says 6 qts.

That's because when I first got the car I used to go to a friends to have the oil changed and I bought 5 qts of the 5w-20 motorcraft. When they looked it up they said I needed another qt

Does anyone have the Mustang owner's manuals on line?

My manual says "Copyright 2000".
On the back cover it says:
1R3J-19A321-AB
December 2000
Second Printing

Page 210:
REFILL CAPACITIES
Engine oil (includes filter change)
Application: All
4.7L (5.0 quarts)

On page 239 is says the same thing:
Engine oil capacity (includes filter change)
4.7L (5.0 quarts)

I was wondering if the 5 qt vs. 6 qt could be a difference between Windsor and Romeo engines, but my 2001 is definately a Romeo engine (has REP stickers on both cam covers) and has the Romeo style cam covers.

So what was changed?

The oil pan? or did they just change the dipstick?

Can anyone look up Ford part #'s and see if the P/N for the oil pan and dipstick changed in during 2001 or in 2002?

As I said above I've changed the oil & filter (several times) and always put 5 quarts in and it always somes out right at the top of the dipstick. The dispstick is a bit flaky, so I have make sure that the dipstick is all the way in and that the T handle is parallel to the valve cover, otherwise it could read 1/2 quart off.