03 over heating

Phatt_daddy

Apr 22, 2005
Hytop, AL
The only thing I haven’t done yet is replace the thermostat. My sons 03 v6 auto started dec 18 overheating when he got stuck in traffic. Replaced the fan, radiator, temp sensor, flushed the system, replaced the whole engine ( long story their) and 2 CCRM. When he gets stuck in traffic his car still pegs the gage and coolant can be heard bubbling under hood. No leaks anywhere. What an I missing besides the thermostat?
Thanks,
Nate

• Sponsors (?)

I would like to get you to slow down. Replace fewer parts. Test more. Two CCRM's? That's a very expensive part to replace on a guess.

HOW did you bleed the air from the cooling system? The V6 is very bad about trapping air inside the cooling jacket.

V6 coolant refilling procedure:

The other things to check:
  • Have you done a through review of the battery and charging system? Don't cut corners here.
  • Have you confirmed that the cooling system is holding pressure?
  • Is the clean and fresh 50/50 mix of antifreeze in the radiator?
  • Are all of the fan shrouds and air dams in place?
  • In my experience whenever a motor slowly overheats during stop/go driving the usual cause is a clogged radiator. We will "assume" that the new radiator is good.
  • After an over heating event it's always recommended to replace the T-stat.
  • What have you done to rule out a clogged exhaust (cat)?
Howto perform charging system voltage drop test

The CCRM's were from a pick a part so not that bad. That was part of the issue as after the second one, the fan was trying to kick on. Radiator is not obstructed and is clean and free flowing. Fan was a new one. Bleeding the cooling system- that I was unfamiliar with but have since gotten that part figured out so all's good there. Electrical checked out spot on.

Thanks for the reply and helpful info.
Nate.

The CCRM's were from a pick a part so not that bad. That was part of the issue as after the second one, the fan was trying to kick on. Radiator is not obstructed and is clean and free flowing. Fan was a new one. Bleeding the cooling system- that I was unfamiliar with but have since gotten that part figured out so all's good there. Electrical checked out spot on.

Thanks for the reply and helpful info.
Nate.
One more thing to mention is the radiator cap. If you can, pressure test it and make sure it holds. Cooling systems cant do their jobs if they cant pressurize...