03 used or new 04? Need some help here.....

Blakers01GT

Master of the Clubhead
Founding Member
Sep 21, 2001
Brown Deer, WI
I'm in the process of selling my 2001 GT. I am obviously going use that money and whatever else I can scrape together for the down payment on my 03 or 04 cobra. Question I have for you SVT guys is, would spending the extra 3 - 5k on the 04 be worthit? I understand there were some stalling problems with the 03's that a updated flash or chip would correct. is there anything else different between the 2 years? and should I be cautious of looking at 03 cobras with anywhere from 5k-15k miles on them?

and for people who previously owned the GT's with a live axle, how much better is the handling and ride quality with the IRS? I understand the launching can be a pain but what is the difference as far as driveablity, handling etc? and any other input you can give me for stuff to watch out for would be great. since I'm gonna be spending and financing alot of money in the next few years, I'm gonna pick some brains, thanks.

Blake

• Sponsors (?)

I have had an 86 GT 5 sp, 99 GT 5 sp, and a 2002 vert auto (I thought I was tired of shifting in bumper to bumper traffic...)

the 2003 cobra felt better than the 99 GT did to the 86 GT.... it was like WOW!!!!

I drove 90 miles out of my way before I got home... I stayed up late just looking at it... It was love at first drive....

The ride is awesome, comfortable, yet firm... she will handle like nothing you have probably ever driven before.

I love mine and don't think I will ever get rid of her...

As for a new or used one... if you can afford it... get a new 04 as fast as you can :)

I wouldn't get a used one... you don't know what they have been through and how they have been taken care of...

I had my 03 re-flashed today for the stall problem that was mentioned... althought I have 23k miles on mine... it has happened only 3 or 4 times, not like it was a problem or anything... but I had it done nevertheless...

I had mine re-flashed last year for the stall. It helped for a while. This year, they replaced the Idle Air Controller, or IAC. This was done last month, so we will see as the summer goes on how it worked.

I would go for the '04. You never know what you will get with a used '03. You could get one from somebody like me who likes to drive fast and power out of corners, but never beats it or drops the clutch. More than likely, though, you will get one that has been treated roughly. You have to wonder why it was traded in when nothing has come along that is better or faster in the Ford camp. Other than financial or family considerations, the reasons probably are not too good.

You also might get one of the early runs with problems, like the tick, that have been corrected in the later '03 builds and the '04s.

Good luck!

:flag: :nice:

03 or 04

I do agree with the previous views, but in this case I can assure you that I am going to offer my 03 black conv. for sale and can say that you could feel assured that this car has not been dogged. This car was bought for one reason and that was show. The car has 11,900 miles on it and has everything done to it that was available with the exception of long tube headers. This car was invited by FORD SVT to be shown with them in Charlotte, N.C. and was sponsored by Fairway Ford in Greenville, S.C.
This is number 111 of 4087. It has 472hp at the rear wheels. I,m selling because I have too many cars, this will make room for a twin turbo Z06.
The price I,m asking is 29k and personally assure you this car is fantastic and in mint condition. The miles on the car is from shows and the tuning shop which is approx. 100 miles away.

I would get a new car over a used one any day, unless I was looking for a paticular model/year of car. As for this case, get the 04... and get it new... then you will know how it was taken care of...

I want a 95 Cobra.... the last year of the 302 in a Cobra... and I want one badly and would pay more than what it's worth as long as it was in almost clean condition... But, this is only because I can't buy a new one today :)