04 Cobra with a salvage title?

01GTang

Dec 26, 2007
Southern, MN
I work on the road, and with my job I get to know alot of the land owners.. For the past few months I have been in northern Ia and have met this guy who buys different cars and peices them together, he has several different mustangs, bullits and a cobra sitting in his yard. He found the cobra frame/drivetrain with all cosmetic body/shell damage, but perfect frame (only 9k mi on it?). The panels he took off a stripped cobra that had a blown motor...
Anyway, the car is in awesome shape, the guy and his son do a really good job with these cars, the only problem is the cobra has a tick coming from the motor during warm up from a cold start, after 5-10 min it goes away... maybe a lifter or something from the car having sat for a while? Besides that, its a cobra, and my GT just isnt doin it for me anymore, lol..
I dont know what a decent price would be for it, he wants 15k? its an 04 body and drivetrain, complete bassani exhaust, headers and all, 11lb pulley? c/a and a couple other parts, the thing screams :jaw: ! Should I dare consider it?
My GT now has a salvage title from my accident, so that part doesnt bother me too much, and this guy knows what he's doing..

I really want a cobra, so I came here to see if any of you could help make up my mind, thanks for any replies!

• Sponsors (?)

14K would be a nice offer with that car. Pics would help alot but check out the rad support (underneath) and the sub frame rails to make sure they are not all bent up or cracked. Also look at the mounting points from the IRS to the chasis. Check to see they are not torn.
As UM stated most of the Cobras will develop that tick when the car was driven hard and heated up. The rear of the drivers side head has no coolant flow so that area gets hot and the valve guides (I think) warp and cause that tick. The only real way to fix it is to replace the head. They can be found for $600-$700 each.
They make a cooling kit fix for it and I still dont have it but thats cause I dread dropping the trans to install it :notnice: The freeze plug that has to be removed to put in the cooling mod is on the back of the head between the firewall :nonono:

Not exactly. They get the tick from too much heat in that head. It coulda been traffic or it coulda been racing :shrug:

UM, it goes to the same spot doesnt it? I mean if it goes to that port on the back of the engine head then I just dont see getting to it otherwise.
I found this on SVTP and I keep starring at it but must be stupid. Does this evenflow version come out of a different spot on the head?
Installation

UM, it goes to the same spot doesnt it? I mean if it goes to that port on the back of the engine head then I just dont see getting to it otherwise.
I found this on SVTP and I keep starring at it but must be stupid. Does this evenflow version come out of a different spot on the head?
Installation
Yes. The evenflow cooling mod does not utilize the port on the back of the head like the Apten on my former Cobra. You will have to pull the blower to install the evenflow however. That's easier than dropping the tranny though. :nice:

U.M.