04 GTO vs. 05 GT (From the GTO owner)

Padre said:
I was there last night and saw the '05 Stangs run. Personally, I thought it was awesome that these guys were racing with the temporary tags still on. I did the same in my Goat. And when I raced at this same track last Spring, I was running about the same - roughly 14.0 @ 100. So stock vs. stock, the 04 Goats and 05 GTs ought to be good competition.

But we all know we're gonna mod, so that's gonna make it even more fun. :D That driver of the white GT is good (1.99 60').

Just a props to the 05 GT drivers last night. I beat one GT (he missed a shift or two) and then got walked by a modded Cobra. Tons of fun.

Padre

this is the most important thing, to go out, have some fun at the track, and test the cars out. props to the mustang guys, and props to the goat guys for providing the videos. we know those mustangs would be able to come up with better times and trap speeds once those engines get loose a little. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

ShelbyMan said:
I would appreciate it if you could provide a link and some specifics on the race! :D

Here are the specifics on the run!

Doc GTO / White 2005 GT
R/T-.085 / .337
60ft-2.16 / 1.99
330-5.878 / 5.807
1/8-8.870 / 8.985
mph-82.67 / 76.73
1000-11.434 / 11.735
1/4-13.593 / 14.046
mph-105.18 / 97.76

Doc

Both '05 Mustangs seemed to have really slow reaction times. ETC lag? Or are the drivers just not yet familiar with their cars? But once both '05s got moving they really cooked in 1st & 2nd gears.

i'm sure there will be some mustang vs gto videos on your site after this post lol but its clear that the gto got a jump on the mustang and i would think that the gto owner had 1 or 2 more practice runs compared to the mustang owner but its all good. :flag:

hypertech programming,trickflow intake,off road h-pipe,flowmasters 40,bbk shorty headers, bbk underdrive pullies,granatelli mass air,bbk 65 mm throtle bbk cold air, 160 degree thermostat, 373 gears, eibach springs, 18 inch cobra r's

Hydrocarbon said:
Anyone know if GM is working on restyling the GTO's exterior?

judge8.jpg

judge19.jpg

Good job, GM! Too bad it's a couple years too late and may remain as a concept only. I'd be driving this if it was the car they came out with a year ago. :bang:

Maybe in 2006 we can look forward to a 389-powered Judge vs. Cobra shootout. :flag:

yep that looks pretty bad....specially because the manual was supposed to be faster than the auto, the 60 is there, the 330 is there, but there is something wrong with the top end, the only guess left is that the engine is not loose yet.
but there is someone at svtperformance.com who claims 13.2@105mph out of his 05 GT
check it out,
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134056

Love both of those cars!! and personally I love the look of the gto's.. straight from holden ;)

Being 17 both of them are out of the picture for me.. perhaps I can talk mom into trading in the suburban haha

meanngreen94 said:
i'm sure there will be some mustang vs gto videos on your site after this post lol but its clear that the gto got a jump on the mustang and i would think that the gto owner had 1 or 2 more practice runs compared to the mustang owner but its all good. :flag:

That was my first time at the 1/4 track with a manual. The only other time I went was in an auto. I did get eight runs in Friday night and I know the white 05 had at least 5 or 6 by that time and he does run a modded Cobra that turns high 11s. Now I do run SCCA club racing in my Alfa Romeo but that is nothing like the dragstrip!

Doc

The GTO was modded? what mods does it have? No wonder it won so easily, its already got a bigger engine, 50 more hp AND it was modded :rolleyes: Lets see some stock vs stock races and see who wins :nice:

2112 said:
The GTO was modded? what mods does it have? No wonder it won so easily, its already got a bigger engine, 50 more hp AND it was modded :rolleyes: Lets see some stock vs stock races and see who wins :nice:
come on, ran what you brung, i thought it was the only rule allowed....
14sec is 14 sec, i hope it's only a matter of an engine that is not loose yet.
the goat won, period, modded or not...
stop the silly excuses, the car should run better than 14's considering the 60 and 330 ft times.

tylers65 said:
Right click the link and the "save as"

lol, that means control-click, "save as", Ron.
(Macs have only one mouse button)

Might it also take a little while before 05 owners get to know the car well and learn how to get the best times out of it? Wasn't someone saying something about shifting around 5400 rpm and keeping it closer to its peak power?

Wow great vids of the 2 cars. Good run from the GTO, I was even more impressed with the tail end of the video that featured the 350zx. I was glad to see them two race, and more importantly the stang come out on top. You gotta great looking GTO bruh, keep up the good work. :nice: