04 SVT Cobra vs. 04 Sti

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

HUH?

Numbles said:
On the street, the STI will win.

At the track its a drivers race.
WOW are you for real theres no finish line on the street the more room you give the cobra the more youll stomp ass on the STi the Sti can take a nasty lead off the line so if its from one stop light to the next yeah the STi but anything near the 1/4 and over its all COBRA Besides I know 4 people that have 03 or 04 cobras non of them have stock pullies and all of them are easily 450+ hp. :hail2:
Still the STi will take it off the line but they catch up so frikkin fast it makes the ( WTF thats as fast as my car will go? ) feeling much stronger.

Also: If you can see through their tint...
note the Gayfactor of driving a STi.
It is infinate :owned:

LMAO last night I saw an Sti stall. I thought the driver wasn't paying attention at the light so I waited. I changed lanes and I see him hitting the clutch and trying to switch gears. I had a little pity cause I too have stalled in my friend's GT. But man was it funny.

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

95_Cobra123 said:
3K A yr for insurance on that thing ok man I am 22 I pay 1700 a yr on my 95 cobra. As for the Sti thing guys think..... Turbo’s take time to spool up. So for one thing Turbo Lag Is a Bitch. Also allot of time off the start you will over boost and since that turbo has all wheel drive you will bog it down then it has to boost all over. 03 Cobra going to kick its ass in the end. Innless the STI guy wants to just undo the waste gate and run a **** load of boost and try to blow his Engine.

So can we just let this post die now cause we are all mustang owners and we should want a mustang to win no matter what..... :shrug:

Dude, seriously, sit back, take a deep breath, and go out into the world. Watch some real drag racing, not the mag racing on this site. AWD cars with turbo's do not need any room to build boost. It's all about knowing how to drive it. They definately do not have any problem with turbo lag between shifts either. And as far as disconecting his wastegate to "overboost" his engine as you so elequently put it, please man, you have the mechanical knowledge of a 3 toed sloth inbred with a food processor. Please either learn about forced induction or refrain from speaking in public from now on because I now have to go dig out my 9th grade english book and try to regain the IQ points l lost from reading you post. As for the rest of you, Rycleff is right, most of you are coming off as hillbilly rednecks that just jumped off the sheep to post.

Since when does a high post count make you a better mechanic? Anyone ever think maybe some people who have been members here for years may have a low count simply because we prefer to spend our time on the dragstrip and in the garage provign a point rather than on the net talking about it?

Nope, probably not because the biggest mouths here are just that, net racers, what did you guys do before you could get on your dialup from your new double wide and talk about your cars? :lock:

Ok...from all the flaming that I've dished out and taken in return...what I can pretty much gather from this entire thread (regardless if you like the cars or hate them to no end) is that we can ALL pretty much agree, STOCK FOR STOCK it would be a close damn race in the 1/4? Yes? I can settle for that...it seems most everyone agrees to that much. I know all the facts I spit out earlier bla bla bla...I'm trying to be reasonable here. SO am I so wrong on this much?

I own an STi and a mustang. If you were moding both cars evenly, or at least keeping each car's power to weight ratio linear, the sti would kill the cobra in just about anything. This is of course assuming that money is not a problem with either car and equal drivers would help too. The cobra will enventually be able to make more absolute power, hey thats what you get with four more pistons and two more liters of displacement, but that is its only performance advantage. As everyone here knows the '03-04 cobra is still just a fox body chassis with an awesome engine. The STi is just a newer car with more modern abilites. Hopefully the '05 mustang will breath some life into the debate...

On a side note: I don't like the look of some of the "boy racer" stuff on my STi. The wing, while functional, is too big for my tastes. However, have you seen the wing on the mustang gtr concept, almost the same look. The functional hood scoop rocks though! Take that ford with your fake scoops everywhere! My car is blue with black wheels and it is debadged, so I like the understated look better.

Attachments

• STi-side.JPG
    STi-side.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 117
89stang306 said:
AWD cars with turbo's do not need any room to build boost. It's all about knowing how to drive it.
Knowing how to drive it??? Ummmm, doesn't take a lot of skill with WRX's

1) Stab accelerator as hard as you can
2) When tach reads 5,000rpm, dump it!

Pretty idiot proof. :shrug:

Kind of an excessive flame BTW. :nonono:

Gearbanger 101 said:

Pretty idiot proof. :shrug:

Kind of an excessive flame BTW. :nonono:

Untrue. I don't think you've ever driven an AWD manual before. Go test drive an STi and realize that doing that will bog you like crazy. There is an art to it, just like there is to rear wheel drive launching.

I've been up against 2 STI's and 3 EVO's and i'm not really impressed. :yawn: All 5 instances i was cruising minding my own business on the highway and they pull up next to me and just "hang." :bang: Damn i hate that, so i look over and one of the guys starts nodding his head like "let's go" so i oblige him. We were doing around 60 or so. As soon as i stuck it in 3rd i motioned for him to honk it off so he did...i jumped right after him and pretty much kept going. After about 5 seconds or so i backed off as i thought he had also and i waited for him to catch up again, so we repeated the race. Same results. At that point i thought well maybe there's just something wrong with the car because i have heard so much about them. So i encounter another one a few weeks later and pretty much same result, however this guy fared much better. The EVO's were pretty much a waste of gas, however i'm not one to turn down a race when provoked, so yet again i obliged. So far i'm 5-0 against them. :owned:

Now before any STI or EVO owners start whining about this or that, i know that they are fast cars and there are plenty out there modded to hell that can beat me. It's of no consequence to me whether they win or lose, however when provoked with a crappy attitude i will run-provided the road ahead is clear or my wife (or my new baby daughter) is in the car.

They both are about the same speed, the sti is butt ugly, and the cobra has 4 more cylinders than the sti. This thread is here because we don't like the fact that a rice mobile out of the factory is just as fast as our pride and joy. Also, I do agree with the bad attitudes that these people have, they think they are king of the world with a import and a baseball cap. same reason i hate the eclipses. I would like an AWD eclipse otherwise, besides the annoying sound that comes out of the exhaust.

Pretty idiot proof.

Go ahead and test drive a wrx and try that. All you will do is either bog or grind all the teeth of 1st gear. Just think about it. In a 2wd car like the cobra you can do that why? First of all when you have that much power all of the sudden some has to give. Now in the cobras case the tires give out. Now in the an 4wd car like the STi we have power to all 4 wheels. In the STi's case the weak part here is not traction its the tranny. And that is exactly what will have if you go out and try that. Hey i have an STi and i am all for imports but i give domestics their respect. I would love to have a cobra just to put a few dollars in it and get tons of HP and take in on the 1320. But to me when you compair the cobra and STi 1/4 i think the cobra would win. But what car is good at brakeing? Speed? and Handling? Hmm.......I wonder.......(STi) :D

I'm surprised this thread is still on going... I'm very surprised by the lack of respect and knowledge of the STI. I'd own one IN A HEARTBEAT!!! I'm in the market right now for an AWD car, and I just took an '05 2.5 legacy GT for a spin... man what a fun car to drive. I really want a WRX, but wife dislikes them. I told her she can pick the next vehicle and if we get one it looks like its going to be an audi A4 Quattro as she's always had a thing for audi's. Its a "spunky" little car, but I'd MUCH rather have the WRX/STI.

You know I like all you guys on this board, but damn some of you are coming across as awefully narrow minded. There are more ways to "speed" than a mustang, it seems a lot of people that posted in this thread forget that.

And to repeat what some of the wise people here already said, on the street the STI will give the cobra a run for its money light to light. AT the track, unless the cobra driver is horrible it should be all cobra from the 1/8th mile on.

STI... :nice: Living here in the north its the perfect SPORTS car that can be enjoyed year round, and that scores high in my book! If only I could own one. :(

Paul, so no more G35c thoughts then huh (which is understandable if you have to deal with poor winter conditions)?
If your wife likes the A4, perhaps she wouldn't be averse to getting a S4, :D or if you're talking new, an $$$RS4 :drool:

On topic (first I've looked at the thread), I agree with the Cobra at the 1/4track theory, and I like both cars. If I owned a WRX or STi I would have hella fun on all the smooth twitsy dirt roads which are in abundance in northern AZ. Just an added bonus to a good all around car. At the WRC Japan Subaru ran a stock STi through the stages and its times held their own VERY well for its heavier weight, lower power, and softer suspension. I just wonder how its durability fared, after the flogging.
...man working Fri. nights sucks... :(
Joel

Die thread, die...

Comparing Cobras to STi's is apples to oranges. The only thing they share is price, in every other way they are aimed squarely at different markets. I'm just as likely to go buy an STi as your typical STi owner is to get a Cobra ... read: not likely! Soooooo what?

And I'll happily join any STi on a road course :). An autocross, maybe not, but a full-on racetrack is a different beast. :flag:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.