'05 convert?

• Sponsors (?)

Arrives Spring 05 I think.

post-7-1092527262.jpg

TomServo92 said:
Of course there'll be an 05 vert. It will follow the hardtop by several months. Stop giving out false information.

Agreed.

And to VictorII, check out the sticky thread at the top of the forum called Up-to-the-day Stang Info. Lot's of questions answered.

ryanrule said:
no 05 vert

Someone posted here that they already have their vert VIN assigned, and it is an '05 VIN. That really surprised me since I was guessing that with the vert coming out so late in the '05 model year, that Ford would had called it, offically, an '06 model.

GT-03 said:
Someone posted here that they already have their vert VIN assigned, and it is an '05 VIN. That really surprised me since I was guessing that with the vert coming out so late in the '05 model year, that Ford would had called it, offically, an '06 model.

How is spring 2005 "late in the '05 model year'?

TomServo92 said:
How is spring 2005 "late in the '05 model year'?

Well, if the 2005 coupe comes out in September, which is more or less the normal start of the model year, and the conv in March (as just mentioned by webestang above) you have September, October, November, December, January, February, March.

IMHO, that is late in the model year. :shrug: Matter of fact, it is slightly closer to the start of the 2006 model year, than the start of the 2005 model year.

GT-03 said:
Well, if the 2005 coupe comes out in September, which is more or less the normal start of the model year, and the conv in March (as just mentioned by webestang above) you have September, October, November, December, January, February, March.

IMHO, that is late in the model year. :shrug: Matter of fact, it is slightly closer to the start of the 2006 model year, than the start of the 2005 model year.

How? the vert comes out in feb-march, thats 2-3 months in the 05 year. the 06 models will come out around september, thats like 7 months away.
Its not closer to 06 model year.

numenor27 said:
How? the vert comes out in feb-march, thats 2-3 months in the 05 year. the 06 models will come out around september, thats like 7 months away.
Its not closer to 06 model year.

That was my point exactly! July-August would be late in the model year but Feb-March isn't.

numenor27 said:
How? the vert comes out in feb-march, thats 2-3 months in the 05 year.

That's calender year. :rolleyes:

March is 6-7 months into the model year.

The '03 Cobra came out around March of 2002. Ford, as do most of the other manufacturers, "round up" the model year with any new model which comes out past January. This is why I was expecting the 'vert to officially be called an '06 model, and thus, there would not be an '05 'vert.

However, I think this all might be moot, if the person who claims they already have a VIN assigned for their S197 'vert, and it has an '05 VIN, is telling the truth. It is the model year in the VIN which is the final word.

It's sort of an automobile tradition to start the model year about September. That's why you can see 05 versions of many cars even now. It's kind of like the fiscal year. Which also is not the same as the calendar year.

GT-03 said:
That's calender year. :rolleyes:

March is 6-7 months into the model year.

The '03 Cobra came out around March of 2002. Ford, as do most of the other manufacturers, "round up" the model year with any new model which comes out past January. This is why I was expecting the 'vert to officially be called an '06 model, and thus, there would not be an '05 'vert.

However, I think this all might be moot, if the person who claims they already have a VIN assigned for their S197 'vert, and it has an '05 VIN, is telling the truth. It is the model year in the VIN which is the final word.

Ok, explain this to me then: The original Mustang was introduced to the public on September 7, 1964, yet it was a called a 1964 1/2 model. According to your logic, it should have been a 1965 model.

TomServo92 said:
Ok, explain this to me then: The original Mustang was introduced to the public on September 7, 1964, yet it was a called a 1964 1/2 model. According to your logic, it should have been a 1965 model.

Actually from what I have seen. You are inncorrect. The mustang was introduced on april 17th at the worlds fair. And avvording to documentation had been in production since march.
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/64-66/64/index.htm
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/64-66/64/pg32.jpg

SVTdriver said:
Actually from what I have seen. You are inncorrect. The mustang was introduced on april 17th at the worlds fair. And avvording to documentation had been in production since march.
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/64-66/64/index.htm
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/64-66/64/pg32.jpg

I stand corrected but let's go with that time frame then: according to your logic it should still be 1965 model because it was introduced 7 months into the 1964 model year. You're correct that traditionally the model year begins in September but I don't think there's any set rules as to when a model year begins. The manufacturers can release a new model any time and call it any model year they want to. It's more marketing strategy than anything else.

TomServo92 said:
I stand corrected but let's go with that time frame then: according to your logic it should still be 1965 model because it was introduced 7 months into the 1964 model year. You're correct that traditionally the model year begins in September but I don't think there's any set rules as to when a model year begins. The manufacturers can release a new model any time and call it any model year they want to. It's more marketing strategy than anything else.

From the above mentioned website.

"The Mustangs produced for the first six months or so were referred to as 1964 1/2 or early 1965 Mustangs. All of the VINs began with a 5, indicating model year 1965."

So it actually was considered by Ford to be a 65. Hence the 65 vin number designation. As for the current car. I don't remember the last time I saw a 1/2 year car. So I don't think they would call it a 2004.5 or 1/2. As far as set rules on model years. I am not privvy to that kind of information to know whether it is or is not a rule. I think (Though I could be wrong) that it has to do with the Fall season. And trying to get people to buy cars in the fall when they sales may be slow.

SVTdriver said:
From the above mentioned website.

"The Mustangs produced for the first six months or so were referred to as 1964 1/2 or early 1965 Mustangs. All of the VINs began with a 5, indicating model year 1965."

So it actually was considered by Ford to be a 65. Hence the 65 vin number designation. As for the current car. I don't remember the last time I saw a 1/2 year car. So I don't think they would call it a 2004.5 or 1/2. As far as set rules on model years. I am not privvy to that kind of information to know whether it is or is not a rule. I think (Though I could be wrong) that it has to do with the Fall season. And trying to get people to buy cars in the fall when they sales may be slow.

OK, I'll concede the point on the first year Mustangs and it appears this whole discussion has run its course. HOWEVER, the current Volvo S40, Kia Spectra, and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited have been referred to as 2004.5 models:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0402_first_volvo/

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38288

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100158

Just an FYI :D

Model Years

2005s can't be sold before June something 2004. It would have to be a 2004.5 if sold before then. If they make certain changes in a half year it has to be recertified which is costly! So not many automakers do it unless there's a Very good reason!

2005 Conv. Talk At The 40th Anv. Bash, They Will Be 2005's!

I was told Directly by a Ford Vice Pres. at the 40th Bash held here in Nashville/Lebanon Tn. that the 2005 Conv. would be out in the Spring of 2005. And they will be Called 2005's.

The break off point is in Aug. and the mid Aug. and later Cars will be 2006.

The Conv. Car is Not A New Car, just a different model.

My Very Early 64 1/2 Conv. is titled a 65 (I have the original MSO Title). Same with the 2005 Conv. They will be titled 2005 NOT 2006.

And if you weren't at the 40th. You missed it all! Hands on with 2005's, Free Pass to the Press Tent with a Full sized Cut Away of the 2005 Coupe. Both the New Front and Rear Suspensions set up to veiw and touch. The New Motor Mounts Being Used. It was Killer! At least 5-6 2005 Production Mustangs and Ford Dealers and Ford Personel driving and riding around in them.

The New GT car was there (they said it was car Number 1 and would be distroyed?) and the Fairlane.

And Got to meet allot of the Ford Designers and SVT was their with Designers and even my True Hero's! I got to meet all! Carrol Shelby was there Thurs, and Fri. Jack Roush, Steve "The Man" Saleen, Kenny Brown! Many Many More! The Who's Who of Ford And Ford Racing! And Edsel Ford IV Pres. of Ford Motor Co. was there and did the Kick Off! FANTASTIC!

The New Production Ford Fairlane! Looked like a warmed over Chevy Malibu copy to me? But Hey, their trying!

If you were there! You KNOW! It was a True BLAST!