05 exhaust?

M1Rifle said:
Stainless is nice because it is functional....

Personally I think I may just spray paint the mufflers flat black.

On my old '66 fastback I used to own, I added dual exhaust with drop downs before the axle (too cheap at the time to go all the way back). I had the shop paint the entire exhaust flat black.

Unlike kids, an exhaust system should be heard and not seen (lol). Actually, a true sleeper would be neither heard nor seen!

Speaking of function before form.... or vice versa... we all see a disturbing trend where carbon fiber is used as a non-functional finish on interior and exterior bolt-on cosmetics. What's up with that? Again, if you can make a carbon fiber component that is lighter and or stronger than a comparable component made of steel, plastic, or regular fiber glass, the more power to you. If you are strapping on a carbon fiber dash cover that's all bling and no blast, then what's the point? To show that you thing carbon fiber is cool too?

I guess I'm just an old f_rt.

I like the 'sleeper' thing - screw the bling thing... :D

I'm with you on the CF craze. The Ferrari F-50 and probably the Enzo body is made of the stuff(or a similar composite), but at least they painted it. I hate the way it looks, but I love what it does(reduces mass). Paint it!

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you are old. Carbon fiber is the new "in" thing to have on your car. The problem is too many people are making CF parts that don't give any real weight reduction. But it and titanium are very popular these days. I personally like the look of bare carbon fiber. On an area that was normally plain black anyway.

SVTdriver said:
Yes you are old. Carbon fiber is the new "in" thing to have on your car. The problem is too many people are making CF parts that don't give any real weight reduction. But it and titanium are very popular these days. I personally like the look of bare carbon fiber. On an area that was normally plain black anyway.

Like I said, if it is done for function, GREAT! Heck, don't even paint it, I don't care.

But if you remove a 10lb panel and replace it with 15lbs of CF for the looks... well, that's cosmetics. I'd rather have a fat wallet and a lighter vehicle.

It's a case of misplaced value, IMHO. CF is cool because it is a high-tech material that is used to make lighter/stronger/faster vehicles, so people want it, even if it makes their care heavier or weaker or slower. It's like the ASSOCIATION with performance is all they care about. Hmmfff. Like tall rear wings on a stock Honda.

I like titanium. It's got an understated flat gray look, and is extremely light. My watch is titanium, for looks and function (grin).

Actually to me, the really cool thing about titanium is it can be anodized in designs like aluminum. With the right equipement (Found fairly easily) you can get cool colors out of titanium.

That being said though. Given a same sized piece of aluminum and titanium. The aluminum will be lighter. Titanium can be lighter because it is stronger so you need less.

The only thing I like seeing out of the back is 2 straight cut, rolled tips, shiny tailpipes. I don't want to see the muffler and I want to hear the classic mustang V8. The Flowmasters still sound the best in my opinion but they don't offer the most performance gain. Performance-wise the staight through design will offer the most hp gains. I agree though, these days, the factory exhausts are just as good as the aftermarket so unless i see some serious dyno gains I'll be going with the best sounding one. Say what you want, but I might end up with the Flowmasters. I can already see the flaming :)

88stangmangt said:
i have seen pics of the GT with muffs right behind the bumper are they really doing that?

Last time I checked my calander, it was 2004. You better get used to the new reality, gas tank in front of the rear axle, mufflers behind the rear axle. This arrangement sort of helps prevent your 05 Stang from busting into flames and burning you to death when you get rear ended. :nice: