'05 GT Handling

sveet

Founding Member
Jun 8, 2002
Snow Belt!
I'm am going to start this off by admitting I have never driven an '05, so I might be pretty off on this.

Does anybody else find it hard to believe that a '05GT out handles '03-'04 Cobras and 350Z Track Models??

The hardware says it should be impossible. The tires on the GT alone should make all of this impossible. They are 55 series all season's for cripes sake. The Cobra has 275/40 Goodyear F1's.

And a strut front end, too. Can't even compare to the 350Z's double wishbone's ability to precisely locate the tire.

The car has a solid axle, and no mater how good you tune it, motions on one side are going to cause undesirable action on the other side.

I love the new GT's, but I can't help but questions these kind of comments being made by both magazines and repeated here over and over?????

• Sponsors (?)

I can't say for sure, as I don't own one either, but articles suggest a .88g or close(depending on the rag) skidpad result, along with great braking and overall balance, making it a good handling car. The advantage it has over other cars varies with differences in many areas. Overall, Ford simply did a great job with the ideas they've used over the years.

It's lighter than the Cobra, and it's longer and wider, and has a wider track, from what I've read. Those things add up quickly and combined, they're advantageous for good handling. It's also got a stiffer chassis and a very different suspension from past models.

Good tires matter, but they're hardly the single most important piece of a well designed chassis. With that, I won't be shocked if it does outhandle many other mass prodced cars on the road.

Don't over-analyse the SRA v. IRS debate. On a smooth surface, there won't be much difference. The main problem with SRA's is a mid-turn bump on one tire will upset the camber on the other, and thus reduce traction moreso than an IRS.

I could see it outhandling the 03 Cobras like fivepointNO said. However, I do find it difficult to see it out-handling the Z and M3. Namely due to the weight and balance. But, it all depends on what they mean by "outhandle". Many companies put out that term if they beat another car in one category (say slalom or g's), but that doesn't necessarially mean it will be the quickest around a race track. It would be pretty close though.

Either way, the Mustang is a great drive. If you aren't going to race it, it will be more than enough fun.

I guess you have to look at the breakdown of all of it's parts.
1. The "strut" front suspension is said to be very similar to a bmw.
2. It has a lighter nose than the Cobra (150lbs was gained by the iron block and s/c all on the nose) and same weight distribution as the 350Z. So it should be able (In theory) handle better than the nose heavy cobra.
3. Maybe a properly tuned solid rear axle. Is not as bad as people make it out to be. And maybe the IRS is not as great as people make it out to be. If it handles better than the Cobra and the 350Z then that would turn out to be true. Yes "Some" actions will cause undesireable actions on the other side. But maybe the properly tuned rear end deals with many of the past shortcomings.
4. Maybe Ford knows more about it's choice in tires than you think. Given the redesigned chassis and suspension. Maybe they chose a tire that gives better performance than you (and many others) would like to think it has. Kind of the proper tire for it's intended use. You wouldn't put a formula 1 racing tire on a rally car. And F1 cars (Which have incredible handling) don't use low profile tires.

Ive driven it

I test drove the Mustang GT as soon as they got to the dealership. From a person who loves stangs, it was night and day. The car feels much tighter. It makes you feel more comfortable when driving the car hard. I know the limits of the previous stang, and thought they arent shaby, I feel as if I am taking a risk when pushing the car hard in certain cituations. The new one eleviates all doubt :nice:

Such a pointless discussion.

If you are driving fast enough on the street to expose the minute differences between the three cars listed, then you ought to be in jail. This is just magazine racing.

You need to buy what feels good to you. Decide how you like the interior, the exterior, how it corners, accelerates, and how much it costs. Some people like cornering above all else (why you'd buy a Mustang, I'm not sure... :)). Some people really appreciate the heritage (the 05 is spectacular in this regard). And some people are just in this for raw power... which is where the Cobra excels. Nice that there are so many different models to choose from!

Dave

Rootus said:
Such a pointless discussion.

If you are driving fast enough on the street to expose the minute differences between the three cars listed, then you ought to be in jail. This is just magazine racing.

100% right.

The only way to put this to the test is to get an 04 Cobra dna 05 GT out on a race course and run em. Push them to the limit and see what really handles better.

Driving it down the road and saying one feels better than the other going through a couple turns is pointless.

Mustang5L5 said:
100% right.

The only way to put this to the test is to get an 04 Cobra dna 05 GT out on a race course and run em. Push them to the limit and see what really handles better.

Driving it down the road and saying one feels better than the other going through a couple turns is pointless.

Thats why arguing on the internet about handling is pointless. You will never reach the true limits of the vehicle on the street. Many people argue about what car handles better, but that's assuming equal drivers. A good driver can make up a lot of time on a roadcourse with an inferior driver. My friend let a pro driver take his Escalade out onto the track and was passing BMWs and even a Vette. Does that mean that the Escalade is a better handling car, NO. The driver is what counts.

But you don't really have to push a car to its limits before you can tell the difference in everyday driving, whether it's dodging that piece of lumber in the road, swerving to miss an animal, or hitting an exit ramp a bit harder than you meant to (or not). The "good" translates into comfort, piece of mind and the knowledge that you are driving a vehicle that was designed and made the right way. It's called good execution and attention to detail and should be congratulated as such.

Mustang5L5 said:
100% right.

:bs: Drive a SVT Focus around one exit ramp 15 mile faster than you should & you will automatically know that they handle better than any stock mustang. (excluding the 00R & 05 GT as I haven't drove them)

Do people really still confuse roadholding with handling, and do they really think that wider tires equate to a better number (considering the rest of the car is 100% different... different suspension components, weight, weight distribution, wheelbase, the list goes on).

By that reasoning, throwing on a set of 275's on a Yugo would make it out-handle a Honda S2000....

(rolls eyes)