05 GT installing BMR rear end poly bushing, having problems

miloman

Apr 14, 2007
I'm installing BMR EN-1 polyurethane rear end bushing. Trying to get old rubber bushing out. Used a hole saw to get inner bolt sleeve out.

Problem is, I do not know if I need to scrape the rest of the rubber out fo the outer bushing sleeve, or to remove the outer sleeve completely. The outer sleeve the BMR bushing appear to be the same diameter. The remaining ruuber in the sleeve is ridiculously difficult to get out. So is the outer sleeve. I actually think I may need a new outer sleeve anyway, as I tried removing it, with a brass bar and a hammer.......odd that the brass actually dented and dinged up the sleeve. I sure hope this part is removable and Ford has a new sleeve. It would be even better if I didn't need the sleeve.

EDIT:

Sorry, more info.

This is located on the top of the differential. THe diff is cast with this space for the UCA to mount to. THere's a steel sleeve with a rubber bushing. BMR makes a poly bushing to replace this.

• Sponsors (?)

ok first off from experience bmr parts are junk,the upper arm i purchased almost split in half from the bushing sleeve pulling threw the bushing and up against the metal of the arm it started to crack the weld before i heard a noise. i emailed them and the company i purchased it threw neither cared enought to even email me back on the failure that could have caused severe damages,injury/death. never ever buy there products, the hodge podge set up you are trying to put together is a crap situation. just buy an adjustable steeda upper and be done with it. my .02 cents

Yeah. BMR is junk. It couldn't be that you got a defective part. It's not like thousands of others use BMR without problem. or anything. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I just can't stand comments like that. Does make me curious who the vendor was, though.

I don't believe just replacing the bushing is a good answer. I would replace the entire arm (and mount if you can afford to). Just replacing the bushing isn't going to do much for ya'. It just seems like a lot of work to just replace the bushing. If you're going to be doing all that, you might as well put a new UCA in.

I don't believe just replacing the bushing is a good answer. I would replace the entire arm (and mount if you can afford to). Just replacing the bushing isn't going to do much for ya'. It just seems like a lot of work to just replace the bushing. If you're going to be doing all that, you might as well put a new UCA in.

I'm in a similar situation. My OEM bushings on all rear arms are split after 5 sessions of track rental drag racing last year (and some HPDEs and autox). I will replace the upper 3rd link, but I will only replace the LCAs if I have to, since changing the LCAs will put me into a higher comp class for SCCA Solo II (autox) (C-Prepared vice E-Street Prepared).

So, I would like to try and just replace the bushings with poly. I have a set from prothane. Instructions (such as they are) say burn out the rubber oem. Any suggestions re the burn out or suggestions overall on the bushing replacement? One of those nice how-to-do-it write-ups with pics would be perfect, if anyone knows of one ! Thanks.

i've had my BMR lcm's for about a year and a half and over 20k on them and they still are working just as good as when i bought them. And when i thought i had a problem i called BMR directly and the customer serv is great. Anyway. I agree that just replacing the bushings might not be the best way to go but thats not your question. On to my answer...

burn em out! No really. If you can get the part off the car and use a blow torch to burn the old rubber out. Make sure you do it safely though and outside. :nice:

Yeah. BMR is junk. It couldn't be that you got a defective part. It's not like thousands of others use BMR without problem. or anything. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I just can't stand comments like that. Does make me curious who the vendor was, though.

I guess I should have specified a little more on that. :shrug:

I have a BMR UCA (with spherical bearing) and mount, adjustable (combo type) LCA and relocating brackets, adjustable panhard (rod ends) with brace, front and rear sway bars, A-arm brace, lowering springs, camber bolts, and D-specs.....also BMR front d/s loop and a Shaftmaster 3.5 aluminum d/s.:D

I just kind of stuck with this stupid axle bushing. I don't really want to continue the install, because the access to this bushing is much easier with most of these parts removed and out if the way. Don't really want to start the front end until I get the rear finished, so I forget what I was doing. I knew it would be a bitch, but I guess I should have read the fine print...........BMR's website says, "NOTE: part reuses the bushing shell".:( I hammer the crap out it.

I contacted Steeda about their spherical bearing that replaces the axle bushing. The guy on the phone said it DOES reuse the factory sleeve, the guy on the internet said it DOES NOT reuse the factory sleeve. I believe the internet statement, but I'd rather not use this part due to the possibilty of MAJOR noise and vibration issues........two spherical bearings would make this happen. I actually kind of regret getting the rod-ended panhard brace.

I just ordered a new rubber bushing from Ford, it's comes with the sleeve. I just don't know if I want to deal with the BMR bushing or not. I can easily get the old sleeve out, shouldn't be much of a problem to press the new bushing in. Just not sure if I want drill, scrape, and burn the rubber out of the new bushing.

Anyway, thanks

mike