05 GT vs MACH1 race RESULTS.....thats right...RESULTS!

• Sponsors (?)

351CJ said:
To help fan the flames, I was told by a Ford engineer that the 4.6L - 3V horsepower was limited by the computer, NOT the mechanicals. That would imply that what you said is accurate. "Steeda has been able to pull the crank horsepower up on an 05 GT to 350" Especially since it appears that the stock engines really makes 320 HP or so.

I was also told that Ford had a goal of getting a version of the 4.6L 3V to make 400 HP, normally aspirated, but they could not make the 400 HP # out of 4.6L and make it emissions legal and meet all durability requirements. He would not tell me how much HP they were able to get out of it, but I got the impression that it was well over 350 HP. :eek:

hmmmm ... Does this mean that there is the possibility that there may be a "unofficial" after market chip that will increase the HP ?

Motorhead6T5 said:
The mach's have ram air right? Could be why they are trapping higher :shrug:

Nah the shaker is for looks, it does make a dark spot on the filter so something is comming in but since the airbox has 2 holes, no ram air effect. The most likely reason for the higher trap speed is the area under the curve where the 4 valve is more powerfull after the 3 valve starts falling off. In my opinion its all an area under the curve thing. Another thing to wonder about is the three piece drive shaft. I am sure some power is being wasted through the rubber couplings that could help spin the rear.

Stang2k5 said:
hmmmm ... Does this mean that there is the possibility that there may be a "unofficial" after market chip that will increase the HP ?

there already is one. Tim Barth at Modular Powerhouse aka Cobra Killer, tuned a stock 05 to over 300rwhp. the car gained over 20rwhp with just a tune!

351CJ said:
We have already discussed the first dyno #'s on the '05. The '05 is putting out almost the same peak RWHP as the Mach 1. Between 4200 adn 6200 RPM HP and torque are almost idendical. The one missing bit of information is what the '05 GT torqe looks like from 1500 to 4200 RPM. The '05 GT may have more torqe at these RPMs due to its VVT and more sophisticated intake manifold.

HP is meaninless for acceleration. Torque is the only thing that matters.

How do you know that the Mach 1 is much more aerodynamic? Looks can be deceiving. Please post the aerodynamic drag #'s for the Mach 1 and the '05 GT so we can have some facts, not your speculation.

:stupid: I'm with you on this one...the reason for the 05 gt rolling with the mach 1 is going to be becuase of the vvt the 05 puts down much better numbers as far as low end horsepower and torque are concerned..this is the very reason why ford is using this valvetrain...the mustang was built for low end torque and the new valvetrain provides it..technology improved and there is no reason why we shouldn't accept it..the new mustang is a better drag racer than our older counterparts...way to go ford :flag:

DBMSTNG said:
there already is one. Tim Barth at Modular Powerhouse aka Cobra Killer, tuned a stock 05 to over 300rwhp. the car gained over 20rwhp with just a tune!

Yeah, I am also curious about this. Did it say what he did? Did he just adjust the timing and take off the airbox? Please post a link! :nice:

Stang2k5 said:
You GTO and Mach 1 cats are just player hating from the sideline :D
I like the fact that Ford finally is producing a Mustang GT that is truly fast. I'm not a player hater & I'm also not sweating because I'm the type of person that will run anything when I'm in the mood. I've lost & I've won some. No biggie. That's why I have a Mustang. I'm not jealous over the '05. Progress is good. If I race one & I lose then I'll bolt-on some parts. :D Life's good for Mustang enthusiasts. Life's not good for '05 haters.

I agree with downsouthman. Unfortunately I don't own either one of these beauties but it's still good to know that the new GT is headed in the right direction. I think it should be quicker than the Mach 1, even if not by much. Better than taking a step backwards.