'05 headswap?

spikeGT_99

May 3, 2004
Jackson, Ms
does anyone know if the new 2005 3-valve will fit on our 99+ engines? i was thinking surely these would give us a few hp and if they're priced around where the pi heads are now it'd be pretty good hp/dollar mod, and since the engines are "modular" they should bolt right up. anyone got any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Well here is what the 5.0 mustang mag said," We bet you're thinking youd like to slap a set of these Three-valve heads on your Two-valve GT and then start picking on cobras. Well it is possable, but it's not going to be a direct bolt on affair. Accordint to Rick, the Three-valve heads will physically bolt on to earlier 4.6 blocks. That's no problem. Once you get them on, you'll have to create manifolding for the intake and exhaust, then make a plate to flow oil back to the cams from the front of the heads where Ford directs it to actuate the variable cam timing. You would of course loose the VCT functionality. Keep in mind, however that were saying this before the '05s hit the dealer lots. Once '05 mustang parts are available, it may well ease the head swap to something a bit more complicated than a PI swap. Just keep in mind that to get the variable cam timing, you'll have to swap computers, wiring harnesses, and the like- so you might as well just drop in an early cobra engine or buy an '05 mustang." Hope that helped and answered your question.I also have the flow numbers on the 3V heads, as well as 99 2V heads, 97 and 99 4V heads, and FRPP-D46 heads that I think are for 2V GTs.