Roush '05 S-281SC vs '04 Cobra + 0-60 times??

I will be selling my '96 GT soon here in Sweden. When I return to California (oh how I miss you, home sweet home...) I will need a replacement!

I'm considering an '05 Saleen SC or an '04 Cobra. I love the looks of the Saleen, but I love the potential of the Cobra, although I don't see myself modifyinig either car with the exception of the obvious; exhaust, rims...maybe stereo.

After hours of searching for 0-60 times for the '05-'06 SC Saleen, I have come up empty-handed. I did find times for the Extreme, but that's not what I'm after! I also found times for the Cobra, but I'm not sure how reliable they are; 4.5 to 60 and 12.1 in the 1/4. This is a stock time, btw. That sound about right? I've driven an '03 (owned one for a week lol) and it was more power than I ever could need, so I need nothing extra in that area. But the Saleen is so frickin' awesome looking, and the test drive I had a couple months ago in an '06 SC was great...but short. :D

I have $30k to spend, and I'd like to not have a car payment, so ideally a Cobra would be best, but for the right price I could stomach a small payment. ;)

Anybody have times for both cars? What would you pick if you had to do it all over again?

Cindy

• Sponsors (?)

Car and Driver has an article available online that you might find helpful ('05 Saleen S281-S/C) at:

http://www.caranddriver.com/specialtyfiles/9484/specialty-file-saleen-s281-supercharged-mustang.html

Times for the car at sea-level have ranged in the mid 12's to the low-13's.

If you want a car that looks great and is pretty darn fast and handles great, get the Saleen. Cobra's look just like every other mustang and can't hold like the Saleens do. Don't misunderstand me, though, Cobras are awesome as well, just a different type of awesome.

I've been in and driven them all (other than an s351 :drool:).

Your choice is based what you want more, looks or power and potential power. The 03/04 cobra is basically unbeatable in the potential category, but the saleen has the looks department.

Guys are destroying 05/06 3 valve engines with 425-450 rwhp, so if that aint' enough for you, it's the wrong car. Now that sounds like a ton of power, BUT, the car wieghs like 4000lbs. Now you say you won't be modifying anything hp wise, i've heard that before, :bs:

IMO, if you can afford a new supercharged saleen, you can afford a GT500 (or at least in a few months, when they get the 7-10 thousand of them on the street, you'll be able to).
Wait for that one.

2000xp8 said:
I've been in and driven them all (other than an s351 :drool:)

:drool: .....that's exactly how I felt when I drove the speedster for the first time!!!

2000xp8 said:
choice is based what you want more, looks or power and potential power. The 03/04 cobra is basically unbeatable in the potential category, but the saleen has the looks department.

Guys are destroying 05/06 3 valve engines with 425-450 rwhp, so if that aint' enough for you, it's the wrong car. Now that sounds like a ton of power, BUT, the car wieghs like 4000lbs. Now you say you won't be modifying anything hp wise, i've heard that before, :bs:

IMO, if you can afford a new supercharged saleen, you can afford a GT500 (or at least in a few months, when they get the 7-10 thousand of them on the street, you'll be able to).
Wait for that one.

.....just wait for an 07 Shelby Saleen GT500!!!! :p then you will have the best of both worlds.......

2000xp8 said:

Your choice is based what you want more, looks or power and potential power. The 03/04 cobra is basically unbeatable in the potential category, but the saleen has the looks department.

Wait for that one.

I'm putting down 558 RWHP on my '05 and the motor is still rock solid with no degregation in performance as time has progressed. If 3V's are going south with that little horsepower, they need to get new tuners. There's guys around here that have been running 500+ RWHP for the last 1 1/2 yrs. in their 3V's with NO problems.

Also, the weight on my '05 is at 3550 lbs., it's the new Shelby that is going to weigh in excess of 4000 lbs.

wsbrigham said:
I'm putting down 558 RWHP on my '05 and the motor is still rock solid with no degregation in performance as time has progressed. If 3V's are going south with that little horsepower, they need to get new tuners. There's guys around here that have been running 500+ RWHP for the last 1 1/2 yrs. in their 3V's with NO problems.

Also, the weight on my '05 is at 3550 lbs., it's the new Shelby that is going to weigh in excess of 4000 lbs.

I just go by what i've seen here, and what the guys on modularfords say. Remember not everyone drives as hard or as many miles as each other. What may last you a liftetime, may last someone else a month.

Are you sure it only wieghs 3550?
An 05 gt is rated to wiegh 3490, then you add the 20's, the body kit, and the supercharger, that should add up to more than another 70 lbs.
The rims alone should add around 100 lbs. The supercharger/intercooler should pack on another 100 lbs, and at leat 100 lbs for the body kit.

BTW, i'm asking you, not accussing you of lying, i've never actually seen an 05 on a scale.

2000xp8 said:
I just go by what i've seen here, and what the guys on modularfords say. Remember not everyone drives as hard or as many miles as each other. What may last you a liftetime, may last someone else a month.

Are you sure it only wieghs 3550?
An 05 gt is rated to wiegh 3490, then you add the 20's, the body kit, and the supercharger, that should add up to more than another 70 lbs.
The rims alone should add around 100 lbs. The supercharger/intercooler should pack on another 100 lbs, and at leat 100 lbs for the body kit.

BTW, i'm asking you, not accussing you of lying, i've never actually seen an 05 on a scale.

I can only go by the sticker on the inside of my door that states the weight of 3550. Keep in mind that I bought mine NA and then installed a Vortech which the total weight adds up to around 60 lbs. (shipping weight when I received the Vortech package). So, you are right in a way, the factory SC'd Saleens should weight around 3700 lbs. Still lighter than a Shelby, though.
Also, one thing to remember is the wheels that Ford puts on the stock Mustangs are not light wheels, whereas the Saleen 20's are alloy. There shouldn't be much, if any, weight gain with the wheels. With the tires, though, one is definitely going to see a difference over the stockers.

2000xp8 said:

Wait for that one.

Actually it's not total :bs: that I won't be modifying the power plant. Look at my sig--see any engine mods in there? ;) Nope, didn't think so!!! LOL

I've reconsidered the '05 Saleen. I can't afford that car right now...maybe in a month or three, but not right now, and I need a car in a couple weeks! So an '07 Cobra is definitely out!

A 2004 Cobra is what I'm looking at right now. I've also been shopping for an '04 Saleen SC... I posted a poll here today: http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=646469

Maybe an '04 Cobra...with a Saleen body kit...????? :hail2: Don't get any better than that!

2000xp8 said:
I just go by what i've seen here, and what the guys on modularfords say.

I've done some reading over there at modularfords. It appears that in some cases not all of the proper variables are being monitored in real time and that some best practices are not being followed. Those problems are no fun that is for sure for the car's owners.

Saleen has a kit to take the 3V engine to 475 hp and I would bet it is a relatively conservative tune. I'll let a few months go by with this kit on the market and then take the plunge.

Cindy,

With 30k to spend it looks like 2004 is the perfect model year for your budget. I've always been partial to the Saleen looks myself and that was the deciding factor in the end for me.

Good luck with your search and keep us updated as to what you end up with!