Roush 05+ Saleen Problems, owners must see!

Apples and oranges to compare an unwarrantied modified car to a stock car that has a warranty.
Besides, the zo6 would probably still beat it on street tires on the road track and drag strip.
It's very very hard to get any mustang into the 11's on stardard radial tires, regardless of power.

11.8 for the Extreme stock. i think thats what it is for the ZO6 right? well maybe you do need a MT on the car, but it will hit 11's stock, considering the ZO6 has a 12" wide wheel with 345's on it.

dont get me wrong, ZO6's are very nice and if i had the extra money, there would be one sitting in my garage, but the straight line power of the Extreme is under estimated.

• Sponsors (?)

11.8 for the Extreme stock. i think thats what it is for the ZO6 right? well maybe you do need a MT on the car, but it will hit 11's stock, considering the ZO6 has a 12" wide wheel with 345's on it.

dont get me wrong, ZO6's are very nice and if i had the extra money, there would be one sitting in my garage, but the straight line power of the Extreme is under estimated.

I'm sure the power feels good in a straight line, in fact i know it does, because i've been in an 06 with the saleen charger on it that made 450rwhp, but since there are no 20in drag radials, putting the power to the ground is crucial. Unless you want to drive around in a saleen without the correct rims on it. Which imo is a no no, other than at the track.
It's not saleen's fault, it's the fact that 2 tires have to provide for grip and propel 4000lbs, which as anyone with a powerful lightning knows, equates to tire spin. Sometimes it's not just about hp rating.
As for i do like the new saleens, i just don't feel that you get your moneys worth.

I'm sure the power feels good in a straight line, in fact i know it does, because i've been in an 06 with the saleen charger on it that made 450rwhp, but since there are no 20in drag radials, putting the power to the ground is crucial. Unless you want to drive around in a saleen without the correct rims on it. Which imo is a no no, other than at the track.
It's not saleen's fault, it's the fact that 2 tires have to provide for grip and propel 4000lbs, which as anyone with a powerful lightning knows, equates to tire spin. Sometimes it's not just about hp rating.
As for i do like the new saleens, i just don't feel that you get your moneys worth.

oh absolutely, you have your own opinion just as anyone else does, i agree its not just how much power you make.

The car only weights 3356 lbs, the shelby is 4000 btw, but yes there is no 20" drag radial and 20" rims are a big no no on performance vehicles!

heresay, lets put an 18" rim on the Extreme with a set of MT's and THEN put it up to a Z06 (straight line)... i think that would make a world of difference as well, and totally understand where you're coming from! but ill keep my 20's for cruising around the street...the car would look weird with anything smaller

I guess in that instance, a Z06 is more "race ready" than a Extreme. the point i try to make consistantly is that everyone thinks the E is a 12.4 car and the Z06 is a 11.4 car stock when truely they are both a 11.8 car! thats what i mean by "underestimated". The only way i can see a problem with the saleen competing is the lack of a drag radial, which will soon be available. Then i would say put a DR on both vehicles and run them (in all fairness).

oh absolutely, you have your own opinion just as anyone else does, i agree its not just how much power you make.

The car only weights 3356 lbs

Not sure where you got that weight from, but it's not an 05+ mustang weight, and definetely not a saleen weight.
The car itself if almost 3550, then you add thoses 20's, Ground effects, and then the whopper, a saleen supercharger with intercooler, which may not seem like much but it's far heavier than the intake, i'd say around 100lbs.

Your probably more like 3700-3800, which with driver is 4000lbs.

The PJ edition is rated at 3556, and has much less additions to the car than a normal saleen.

BTW, z06 on mt drag radials would be very close if not in the 10's.

okay well since it the website AND my window sticker says 3356 lbs (curb weight), maybe ill take it to a concrete yard near me and ask them to throw it on the scale. Then we'll know for sure.

the car probably only has like 350 hp too instead of 550, and the z06 really has 900 but its rated at 505.

:hail2: Z06 ...:bang:

lets just drop it!

okay well since it the website AND my window sticker says 3356 lbs (curb weight), maybe ill take it to a concrete yard near me and ask them to throw it on the scale. Then we'll know for sure.

the car probably only has like 350 hp too instead of 550, and the z06 really has 900 but its rated at 505.

:hail2: Z06 ...:bang:

lets just drop it!

I have to agree with you...I don't think the Saleen is anywhere near 4000 pounds with a driver.

I recall seeing a figure of 3500 and change or so from someone who took their car to a weigh station and had it scaled. Don't remember if thats was with the driver, or without.

Premium GT curb weights run anywhere from 3300 to 3400 from what I can gather with a quick Google search.

oh and by the way, i just picked the car back up from Saleen and could not have asked for more outstanding service.

They replaced my whole rear end, the supercharger, fully detailed and waxed the car, installed $700 quarterglass moldings for free, fixed other things i didnt even tell them about, ran a TSB check and made sure all recalls were taken care of, and topped it off on fuel for me. They only had the car about 5 days and the difference is night and day, i feel like im driving someone elses car.

Much happier, and the car feels even faster now that its running properly.

Thanks again for all your help.

I thought Saleen makes a lot of their parts to shave weight...possibly making the cars equaling out in difference.

Was that a coupe? it sounds like vert numbers (on saleen's site).

Ill weight the car and let you all know for sure!

Saleen adds parts/material, not removes. The body kit parts may be as light as possible, but it's still adding material. The rims are absurdly heavy, and so is the charger.
There is a whole lot of weight speculation from misleading door numbers and internet rumor. But the true weight before saleen add ons is over 3600lbs.
Think of it this way, some foxes weigh about 3300 and you know the new car is way heavier.

At least your car is done right, and sounds like you got the red carpet treatment, which you deserve so congrats. I'd hope they'd treat standard s281 owners the same, but somehow i'm doubting it.

do you own one? :lol: ... no problem Marcus.... its all fun and games.

Z06's are not invincible though ;) just so you know. I think my buddies twin turbo 743 RWHP GT will have no problem feeding it to the dogs haha.

Anyway, i saw an article in a magazine the other day. they took a stock GT500 which made 424 RWHP on a dyno and put a Kenne Bell on it and made 743 RWHP (i think that was the numbers...if not ..close)

SICK :lol:...but heavy and the rest of the car breaks.

That article and dyno test is in the last 5.0 mag...
The 743 rwhp is at only 15psi, and they get over 800rwhp at 22psi. Considering 15% drivetrain loss, and adding 70HP required to spin the KennBell at 22psi, that car makes over 1000 HP at the crank ! Hello Bugatti Veyron :p
Now I want one... the KB'd GT 500, not the Veyron :lol:

That article and dyno test is in the last 5.0 mag...
The 743 rwhp is at only 15psi, and they get over 800rwhp at 22psi. Considering 15% drivetrain loss, and adding 70HP required to spin the KennBell at 22psi, that car makes over 1000 HP at the crank ! Hello Bugatti Veyron :p
Now I want one... the KB'd GT 500, not the Veyron :lol:

yeah, then he pulled it off the dyno, drove down to the first stop sign, took off slow in first, hit second nice and smoothly, gave it half throttle and was like NAAAIIIIIIIIICCCCE, then matted it once and... KKAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!:lol:

no built lower half
i believe it said in the article something about the rear end shattering practicly
and the whole drivetrain is too weak

The entire bottom end in the GT500 is built and if anyone thinks otherwise just look at how many toads with 03/04 terminator cars are running pulleys and no tunes on those cars, drive the shi* out of them and they still hold up.

I'm sure Ford has run the new 5.4 steel block GT500 motors at insane rpm's for days or even months on end. You would probably have to drive over one of those new GT500 motors with a Catapillar earth mover to kill that motor.

The trans is stout also. I'm sure the rear end would need help with over 700 rwhp going through it though.

I don't own a C6 ZO6. Well not yet but I had one for the weekend and was told to go try and break it. I did not have any luck though. I spent the ZO6 money at the Cadillac dealer next door. :(