05 Stang vs. 04 GTO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiFan1354

Mar 2, 2004
I know some of the numbers for the 05 GT, well, the expected numbers, and I was wondering how they compared to an 04 GTO? I don't have any kind of backgound on them, and I was wondering if any of you had any clue.

BTW, this is my first post.... so if I'm way off base, sorry...

• Sponsors (?)

Please don't go there... you'll just start another firestorm. The simple answer is that we'll just have to wait and see how the 2005 Mustang runs. The 03-04 Mach 1 and the 04 GTO are pretty close competitively, although you will see some Mach owners boast of beating GTOs, and of course GTO owners boasting on their own boards.

Again, simple answer is to just wait and see what results come in from drag strips and/or road races.

My friend just picked up a GTO. Interior is great, powertrain is a knowbrainer, but the thing I question is the high price tag and bland styling. The car looks better in person than most pictures present IMO. But still disappears in the crowd amongst millions of Hondas. If the new stang could pull off the interior quality of the Goat and remain 6-8 grand cheaper,we have a winner.

By the time the '05 Mustang GT is out the '05 GTO will be out. It is supposed to get a power boost, I don't know if it will be an LS2, LS6, or just an LS1 with better heads and cam like the SEMA GTO. Like GaPonyFarm said, we will just have to wait and see. Should make for some interesting articles in the auto mags this fall :nice:

HairyCanary said:
My thoughts exactly. Let's keep it apples-to-apples, compare the GTO to a Mustang that costs the same. Cobra.

Dave

It is a tough comparison because the GTO is half way between the Cobra and Mustang GT in both price and performance. THe next Mach 1 or Boss or what ever it is called would be a good GTO fighter. A 3v 5.4L, 6 speed, IRS for $32K would be perfect.

Z28x said:
It is a tough comparison because the GTO is half way between the Cobra and Mustang GT in both price and performance. THe next Mach 1 or Boss or what ever it is called would be a good GTO fighter. A 3v 5.4L, 6 speed, IRS for $32K would be perfect.
Well, it's a little closer to the Cobra than the GT :D. I agree that 3V 5.4L 6 sp IRS would be fun. My personal preference would be 3V (or 4V) 4.6L SC 6 sp IRS for $36k.

MSRP's for several cars (base MSRP, 2004 models):

$36,370 Cobra
$33,495 GTO
$29,135 Mach 1
$23,560 GT

Dave

Z28x said:

Car and drivers as tested price for thier GTO was $33,695
Car and drivers as tested price for the cobra was $34,750

I consider those in the same price range. :shrug:

new22003 said:
Car and drivers as tested price for thier GTO was $33,695
Car and drivers as tested price for the cobra was $34,750

I consider those in the same price range. :shrug:

Pontiac.com $32,495 (that is the automaitc)

Since the Cobra doesn't have a auto, I'd compare the Manual tranny GTO price which is $33,190 (no other options are avalible so that is the base price and fully loaded price :))

A base 2004 Cobra cost $35,370 $2200 more than the equal GTO

Z28x said:
Pontiac.com $32,495 (that is the automaitc)

Since the Cobra doesn't have a auto, I'd compare the Manual tranny GTO price which is $33,190 (no other options are avalible so that is the base price and fully loaded price :))

A base 2004 Cobra cost $35,370 $2200 more than the equal GTO
But a base GT costs $10k less than the GTO :p

Dave

HairyCanary said:
But a base GT costs $10k less than the GTO :p

Dave

THe '04 GT is starts at $24,185, and a V6 starts at $18,660, By that logic THe V6 is the way to go because you it is only about 60HP less than the GT.

You could buy 2 V6 Mustangs for the Price of the Cobra. No one ever said performance or luxury was cheap.

mattkimsey said:
How much more does the gto retail for compared to a fully loaded 2004 gt?

read the above posts.

I don't know why the GTO keeps getting compared to the GT on price, They arn't being sold to the same market, The GTO has almost 100HP more and has a higher level of luxury. I think the GTO should be compared more to the G35 and to a degree the BMW 330 coupe, Cobra, and Mach1.

The '04 Mustang GT is closer to the SRT-4 on price and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.