05 Stang vs. 04 GTO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steeda90GT said:
Ford dealers in NJ try to shove 29K Cobras down my throat all day long and 20K GTs...

Same thing happedend to me when I was looking for Mach's and Cobra's. There was nothing I like so he tried to sell me a used auto vert for cheap, right after I was considering a cobra :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

pjdellenger80 said:
The cobra is a much nicer car. It looks soooo much better, much much faster, and the gto doesn't get that good highway miles... lets not forget the cobra is a 6 spreed. The performance is way out of the gto's range. The gto's are nice but to slow and pricy.

The GTO gets 29 mpg highway, I wouldn't call 13.6 slow, and $2200 less than the Cobra isn't pricy. Unless you consider the Cobra pricy then I guess they are both out of your range.

Mach428 said:
I can't wait to see how much the new GTO Weighs with it's interior goodies

It weighs the same as the Cobra. GTO is like a Cobra with 50 less HP and a way nicer interior for $2200 Cheaper.

The GTO may be the last true muscle car, but the only thing that makes it so are those 3 letters "G-T-O". The exterior styling does absolutely nothing to uphold the legend of the GTO, and if we knew absolutely nothing about cars, it would look extremely bland, boring, and unimpressive. Cobra is the way to go. Whether you can put a 10 year old in the GTO rear seat instead of a 8 year old in the cobra is of little comparison. While I'd kill to have the 5.7 powerplant, basically what pontiac did was put very little effort into really bringing back the true GTO, and instead made a glorified grand prix while putting "GTO" on the back just to make sales. IMO if you're buying the GTO for anything else than the vette 5.7, it just isn't worth it.

I think every one is forgeting that the GTO is a mid size car while the mustang is a sports car of course it is going to out run the GTO (well the cobra will). Have you ever tried to stick a baby seat in the back of a Mustang, the front passenger has to sit with his chest practically in the dash in order to let the kids feet hang. But with the goat you can get a family car that can out run a GT with out spending $50,000+ for an M3 not to mention you got an engine that you can have suped up and repaird the same place you can get your ss done, that is impressive, and the point of getting one

Brandon Ford, Tampa

2004 GTs for $16,995.00

259.jpg

fpb96GT said:
The GTO may be the last true muscle car, but the only thing that makes it so are those 3 letters "G-T-O". The exterior styling does absolutely nothing to uphold the legend of the GTO.

I guess you don't know much about classic GTOs. THe old GTOs had Pontiac corperate styling just like the new one. The only difference is the the old one had hood scoops, the new one will get them in '05.

fpb96GT said:
Whether you can put a 10 year old in the GTO rear seat instead of a 8 year old in the cobra is of little comparison.

Not only can you put a 10 year old in the back seat but you can put a 6'0" Adult.

fpb96GT said:
While I'd kill to have the 5.7 powerplant, basically what pontiac did was put very little effort into really bringing back the true GTO, and instead made a glorified grand prix while putting "GTO" on the back just to make sales.

Pontiac didn't design the GTO, Holden did.

fpb96GT said:
IMO if you're buying the GTO for anything else than the vette 5.7, it just isn't worth it.

A lot of people say that about the Cobra :shrug: I think if you want a RWD coupe both are good picks. The G35 is nice too but the GTO and Cobra just have more bang for the buck.

The Gto is a nice car don't get me wrong, but how and the world would you want a Gto over a cobra. THe Gto is a grand prix with a bigger engine and the interior is a little nicer. Sorry but if im going to buy a sportscar/ muscle car Im going with performance and looks first and there is no wat the Gto can compare with the cobra in those two categories, the supercharger just looks so so pretty.

65conv50 said:
OK, then I stand corrected. But I have read on here that the 05 Mustang comes only with 5-speed. Why would they drop it? That second overdrive gear is great on the interstates.

For the 03 & 04 model year Mustangs:

V6, GT, Mach 1 = 5 speed

SVT Cobra = 6 speed

In many places the SVT Cobra is listed separately from the other Mustangs because it is a SVT product and is only sold at Ford SVT dealerships.

You make a good point, all the T-56 6 speed gives you is a 2nd OD ratio. Many people around here mistakenly think that the 6 speed gives you faster acceleration. It does not do that. All it does is give you more RPM flexability at highway speeds.

I really wouldn't consider the GTO a true Muscle car, to me all it looks like is a mercedes Kompressor. Antone know what group the GTO is targeted for? With it's great interior and crap it sure sounds to me like GM isn't targeting sports car enthusist. I simply think the GTO is Sporty Luxury car, not a sports or muscle car. I sure as hell wouldn't buy one over a Cobra. To me comfort in the 30,000 - 37,000 isn't worth the sacrafice of the added performance you would get with a Cobra. In my opinion, my Mach has all the comfort I need.

fpb96GT said:
The GTO may be the last true muscle car, but the only thing that makes it so are those 3 letters "G-T-O". The exterior styling does absolutely nothing to uphold the legend of the GTO, and if we knew absolutely nothing about cars, it would look extremely bland, boring, and unimpressive.

But that is EXACTLY what the GTO originally was, and the definition of a "muscle car". It is a "Plain Jane" sedan, with big bulging muscles under the hood. The original GTO looked like any other LeMans. It was the strength underneath that was the big deal. The only clue, then and now, was the little GTO letters, unless you, like us on this board, really knew cars.

The GTO very definitely upholds the tradition of the original. And what makes it so is not the 3 letters on the body, but the 5.7 litres under the hood.

Z28x said:
I think it is still a good value, were else can you get a 350HP car for $33K. I think of the '04 GTO as the practical mans Cobra. Cobra and GTO are about the same weight both have IRS and T-56. THe GTO is $2200 less and has a back seats that real live adult humans can fit in and interior quality is a lot better. On the other hand it has about 50HP less than the Cobra and probably dosn't corner as good due to the narrower tires and smoother ride suspension. Both cars have compromises, it all depends on what is more important to you.

I wouldn't even place the two in the same catagory, I though of the GTO as more of a, "Go to work with a little bit of comfort and performance car." I really wouldn't consider it an alternative to the Cobra

lol that might give the mustang a run for its money! but back to the GTO, i read in C&D that the car is not at all what it is up to be. they took some Australian car and slapped the GTO badges on it. id take a mustang over that any day

I saw a new GTO run at the drag strip last week it was really weak. Ran a 10.2 @ 72mph in the 1/8th. I think the guy just couldnt drive it might have broke into the 9s with a decent driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.