05 Winter Performance

TurboE

Jan 20, 2004
I really want to get an 05 mustang but in Pa the winters can get bad. I was wondering how the winter performance was considering more of a 50/50 wieght ratio then the past mustang, and compared to the car I'm driving now it has traction control. Maybe get some winter tires........My other thoughts are to get a beater 4X4 truck for the winter and maybe get one in the spring? Any thoughts or know where information on winter testing may be. I'd rather not have too many vehicles and just get the stang?

• Sponsors (?)

winter driving

I have a 2000 GT that I drive in the winter in southeastern PA. Here are some things you might want to consider. The new Mustang has better weight distribution than the existing model and traction control is a plus. Also, all season tires are a help compared to the Goodyear Gatorbacks. However, if you get a fair amount of snow or live in a hilly part of PA I would suggest a set of snow tires from Tire Rack on steel wheels. This is what I do and I go anywhere I want to go.

tjredgt2000, thanks for the quick response. Can you can really go anywhere you want with those snow tires. I have an 88 thunderbird turbo coupe now and low profile tires and after last winter ive had enough messing around, almost wrecked it twice, and could barely get up a hill, (600rpm almost stalling to not spin the rear tires and holding the brake pedal). I consider myself a good driver (drove 1/4 midgets since i was 8) but in the snow and ice only so much you can do. My dad doesnt seem to have to much trouble with his new 330 BMW (almost 50/50 wieght ratio), which made me hope the more 50/50 front to rear wieght with the new mustang would help. Thanks for the insite guess i just need the convincing I know alot of people that drive trucks and think im crazy for not having one. I also live in southeast pa, chester county. I hear ya about tirerack i love that place, I guess I know my car just plain sucks in the snow no matter what tires and if I wreck it, even tho its in excellent condition with mods, it wont be worth fixing (according to the blue book).

I'd highly recommend a dedicated set or rims and snow tires. From 95-00 I had a miata that wouldn't move with stock tires after a light snow; but was great with the snows. For the last 4 years I've had a 2000 GT Convertible with ABS & traction control (LOVE the traction control) and have never had any problems with the dedicated snows. I just moved so I will have a much longer commute this winter; but I've so far felt very comfortable in the snow.

Both sets were rim & tire packages from Tire Rack.

EDIT: I'm in Southern NH now, with my last 10 years or so North of Boston.

TurboE - four snow tires do wonders for a rear wheel drive car. Mine are 215 series which might sound skinny but they handle just fine. I live in Bucks County so you know that some winters we hardly get any snow but other years you would think we live in Alaska. I grew up in Iowa driving a '67 Mustang with snow tires and spent most of the winter driving back roads pheasant hunting and never got stuck once. I keep my snow tires on dedicated rims and when snow is in the forecast I can put them on in 45 minutes.

real snow tires make the difference. all season are marginal at best. an all season tire is a compromise, jack of all, master at none.
I used dunlop graspic winter tires on my stock rims because the gatorbacks snow performance perform just as well as a soccer player wearing ballet shoes. (which is not good)
The all season tire that is on the new 05 will be better, but don't expect miracles since its not a true winter tire.

Thanks alot for the info guys. I know what you mean about the pa winters I'm on the line where it normally gets worse, when they say North and West of philly might get snow watch out. When i worked in philly it was raining and we had 6" of snow in chester county, i looked like a dick for asking to leave early when it was raining. I would definitely use winter tires and either the stock wheels (to get aftermarket wheels for summer) or get steel wheels, but I guess I'm also trying to think if it would be better to not drive it in the winter to also take better care of it (salt/higher chance of getting wrecked)? I don't know, I guess whats the point in making a payment if you can't drive it. I think I could get an 89 bronco for like $500, but then I would end up with 3 vehicles and 3 insurance payments.......i would love that just trying to be financially wise (at least a little). Need to save for the future also........Like i said thanks for the responses if you guys have any insite I'd love to hear it.

Should be OK if you're a very careful drive and respect the road conditions. I drove my stang through the really rough winter we just had in Northeast PA. I only had one close call but was able to whip the rear end around before I hit the tree ;).

With FWD cars you can skate by with all season tires. But as a New Englander for more years that I can remember, if you have a RWD car, a good set of snow tires are mandatory.

Blizzaks are great, but they are expensive and once the outer layer of soft sticky rubber wears away they don't perform as well.

Dunlop has some excellent snow tires too.

But most any real snow tire will be better than the stock all seasons.

Belive me a good set of snow tires will make the difference between you not being able to go anywhere and winter not being that big a deal.

Mustangs generally do fine in the snow.

I had a '95 Cobra for a while, and I lived in South Dakota. We noramlly get 4-12 inches of snow basically all the time during the winter....and the cobra handled it just fine, no traction control, no snow tires...nothin. Never got stuck, got up hills great (far better than in a front wheel drive car where the weight shifts to the back and you get stuck on hills).

You will be fine if you go slower, and dont hit the gas or brakes around corners. ABS rocks. If you want that extra bit of traction...throw two sandbags in the trunk (wrap them in garbage bags, they always leak)

I would like to humbly suggest having a beater car. I have a mid '90's pontiac that I use for rain and snow driving instead of my stang. I had my stang on the turnpike last winter on a day they werent calling for snow and my normally 55min ride home from chester county took 3 hrs. So now I watch the weather reports closely, and base driving the stang or the beater on that.

MustangNewbie said:
I would like to humbly suggest having a beater car. I have a mid '90's pontiac that I use for rain and snow driving instead of my stang. I had my stang on the turnpike last winter on a day they werent calling for snow and my normally 55min ride home from chester county took 3 hrs. So now I watch the weather reports closely, and base driving the stang or the beater on that.

Yes, but were you sporting snow tires?

It's good to know snow tires make that big of a difference. Up here by the great lakes in NY it can get pretty bad in the winter, guess I'll be able to get that 300 hp RWD car after all, along with some snow tires :)