05GT DYNO NUMBERS!!

• Sponsors (?)

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3404
regardless of whats "advertised" (since we all know advertising is so reliable)... that thread shows real world results of 434 at the wheels and 510 at the crank with a tremec 3650 equating to 15% loss. Now im not sure if the mach has IRS and if that would add to the loss or be negligible compared to the solid axle but those are some pretty definitive results.

Gears & Crosses said:
How much does a stock Mach I 5-speed put down at the wheels, all stock?
Well I put down 276.9 and 301.2 bone stock down to the paper filter at 1100 miles with a 12-12.5 avg A/F ratio.

I really like the gains the new engine is putting out but I am really concerned over the A/F ratio everyone is reporting. Ford made it rich for a reason. I understand all OEM's are rich from the factory because it is safer, but this is a little 'too' safe.

I wonder if it has something to do with the operating range of the VVT and the charge motion controller? I really hope someone gets a hold of a Ford engineer that worked on the programing before people (tuners) arbitrarily raise the A/F ratio up to 13.0 for a quick boost in performance. HP gains sell products......

MineralgreyGT01 said:
I really like the gains the new engine is putting out but I am really concerned over the A/F ratio everyone is reporting. Ford made it rich for a reason. I understand all OEM's are rich from the factory because it is safer, but this is a little 'too' safe.

I wonder if it has something to do with the operating range of the VVT and the charge motion controller? I really hope someone gets a hold of a Ford engineer that worked on the programing before people (tuners) arbitrarily raise the A/F ratio up to 13.0 for a quick boost in performance. HP gains sell products......

Reportedly the reason whey the A/F ratio is so rich is to make the cats last longer. I think they now have to last 120K miles. Although this may seem counter intuitive, apparantly richer mixtures let the cats run cooler.

The other thing that suffers is gas mileage. Over on Brad's side they are discussing gas mileage and it's HORRIBLE. Someone reported 22 MPH on a long trip (05 GT MTX). I get 22 in normal driving with my '01 GT and have gotten as high as 28.5 MPG on long trips.

http://forums.stangnet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29862 Try hydrocarbon trap removal.
attachment.php

351CJ said:
Reportedly the reason whey the A/F ratio is so rich is to make the cats last longer. I think they now have to last 120K miles. Although this may seem counter intuitive, apparantly richer mixtures let the cats run cooler.

The other thing that suffers is gas mileage. Over on Brad's side they are discussing gas mileage and it's HORRIBLE. Someone reported 22 MPH on a long trip (05 GT MTX). I get 22 in normal driving with my '01 GT and have gotten as high as 28.5 MPG on long trips.

Your right that does sound bass ackwards :shrug: I would still get some conformation on that though. It looks like the cats on the 05 are the same shape and size as the Ford GT..... I wonder....... Maybe since a SC tune has a low A/F by design maybe its needed for the cats too and it just transfered over due to simular design?

Shoot I get around 16 MPG in town and 27 MPG highway Sometimes I get 12 MPG in town :D

MineralgreyGT01 said:
Your right that does sound bass ackwards :shrug: I would still get some conformation on that though. It looks like the cats on the 05 are the same shape and size as the Ford GT..... I wonder....... Maybe since a SC tune has a low A/F by design maybe its needed for the cats too and it just transfered over due to simular design?

Shoot I get around 16 MPG in town and 27 MPG highway Sometimes I get 12 MPG in town :D

I found this on the web and it doesn't jive with what you guys are saying about a richer mixture being better for the cats:

CAUSES OF CONVERTER FAILURES

Fouling, clogging, melt-down and breakage of the ceramic substrate inside a converter are common conditions that can cause problems. Plugging is usually the end result of a melt-down, which occurs because the converter gets too hot. This happens because the engine is dumping unburned fuel into the exhaust. The excess fuel lights off inside the converter and sends temperatures soaring. If it gets hot enough, the ceramic substrate that carries the catalyst melts.

Here's the link:

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/maintain/catalytic_converteranswer2.html

No, nothing about running slightly rich goes against the usual thinking about EGT or cat life.

Lean AF mixture = high EGT = engine damage

Rich AF mixture = low EGT = dirty sooty exhaust = f-upped cats = poor performance. But no long term damage other than carbon build up and in extreme cases (read when raw fuel passes into the exhaust) you can clog up and destroy the cats.

What they are talking about here is running a little rich to lower the EGT I guess in attempt to make the cats last longer? By no means should anyone assume that the 05 passes raw fuel into the exhaust ala an F16. I run my motorcycle a little rich as extra insurance against lean FA damage and also it nearly eliminates the need to use the choke.

As a side note light planes have a mixture control lever that lets you alter the AF ratio, older planes use charts and graphs to help you set the AF ratio and newer ones also have EGT thermocouples for each hole.

A buddy of mine flew his Mooney M21 from Tulsa to Dallas on 11 gallons of gas with the AF set at like 6.5... Too bad cars can't run that lean :(

Lawman85 said:
Actually, Ford is advertising on a 12% power loss in drivetrain for the manual 5spd. So with that... 266rwhp = 302 hp at the crank.

Total :bs:

Drivetrian losses are generally 16-20% depending on whether it's a stick or auto...and the type of stick or auto being used. Modern transmissions are more efficient than the older ones generally.

310-320 at the crank is more likely the case if the car makes about 265 at the wheels.

mach1dsg said:
would it be possible to see the dyno graph???, nice pics of the car though, but i was wonder about the actual dyno graph
Thanks

I second the graph request. OR........ list the hp and ft/lbs for each rpm and we can make a graph in MS Excel or something.

Also has the A/F ratio been "tuned up" yet? And what is the result? :D

Why can't someone take the f----n hydro trap out and run it on the dyno?After 5 weeks and nobody has done this yet, WHY? They spend all this time and money on red-neck flowmasters to gain maybe more noise.