05GT That Starts Like a Marx Brother...

explrsport

Founding Member
Apr 26, 2002
SoCA
The one named Zippo (ok, so actually it was "Zeppo").

As in when I start it up, cold or warm, I get nada, nothing, no noise, no clicks.

Turn the key off and back a few times and eventually it will start just fine. When it does start, no unusual starter noises, no extra time for it to catch, etc. Normal as can be; runs great at all rpm.

2005 GT 5-speed, bone stock for now. Under 1500 miles. Battery reads 12.5v when engine off.

I'm thinking there's a switch the tells the brainiac that the clutch is to the floor and perhaps it's gone bad.

Can't get it to the dealer for a few days and it's bugging me.

Anybody else with the same problem?

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

I am a little young to know anything about a Marx Brother but I would say that maybe you can get it to a dealership and have them diagnose the car sounds like if there is any problem with the starter and stuff or battery issues a diagnostic should bring it up.
Assuming the extra key don't work. Good luck

move your seat up a little bit. this will make sure you are pushing the clutch pedal in all the way. sometimes i dont push it in all the way and it does nothing. push a little harder and bingo, it starts. i learned a lesson in my xtreme i had. if i moved the seat up a click or two, i would be sure that the clutch was going down all the way. i used to miss shifts when i would rip on it, because i was not pushing the clutch down all the way and let off too soon (when i was still shifting). after i moved the seat, no more missed gears. this will probably also help your starting issue.

Excellent (and easy/cheap) suggestion on the key; I'll try the spare to see if there is any difference...

As for pushing the clutch pedal to the floor - that I already do. Got an appointment with the dealer on Monday morning so I'll report back.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Two Days at the Dealer...and 50 "starts" Later

"Could Not Replicate Problem" - hey, hard to tell THAT one was coming, LOL...

Did not throw a code and both key/chips worked fine. According to the service writer (a guy that I've now known through several Ford vehicles over the years) their mechanic started it about 50 times over the two days, from early morning to closing, and it started great each time.

What ARE the odds? But wait - there's more!

I couldn't bum a ride to go pick it up so I drove over and just moved it to the dealer's visitor parking lot and then a friend took me over later tonight to take it home.

You guessed it - it didn't start the first two times. Then it was fine.
Clutch pedal to the floor each time.

Sigh. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: