06/07 Mustang SVT

CA Lightfoot said:
I agree, but how about this scenario:

-- Boss version: supercharged "390"-hp, beefed-up rear, not IRS, rear-seat delete, spare tire delete, trunk-mounted battery... with simple mods, easy 500-hp 11-sec street/strip car.

-- SVT Cobra: naturally-aspirated 400hp, IRS, etc... blow the GTO into the weeds. I just wonder how Ford can get 400hp from a 5.4 when GM needs 6.0 for their 400hp LS2.
I think we would more than likely see a Boss version with the NA setup but with a 5.0 DOHC NA motor droping over 400hp. The Cobra IMO will not loose the SC any time soon. If your going to make a Boss you GOTTA use a 5.0.

• Sponsors (?)

RandyB said:
How about an extra intake valve and Variable Cam Timing? :D

I think Ford could get real close, maybe 385 hp with a N/A 5.4 3V. But I would like to see that same engine with a screw-type s/c putting out '450 hp' in the SVT. Save the 385 hp version for SEs such as the Mach and Boss, with a solid axle standard(IRS option).
They have already done it without all of that. The 2000 Cobra R was underrated. It's making more than 400hp at the crank. And look at the 5.0 Cammer. That’s over 400hp and with just a little tweaking it would be street legal. Look at the Fr500 setup, 415 hp 5.0L DOHC. You’re just not going to see a 5.4 in a production version of this car in any significant numbers. Running into the same issues that they had on the prior chassis.

AzSnake said:
They have already done it without all of that. The 2000 Cobra R was underrated. It's making more than 400hp at the crank. And look at the 5.0 Cammer. That’s over 400hp and with just a little tweaking it would be street legal. Look at the Fr500 setup, 415 hp 5.0L DOHC. You’re just not going to see a 5.4 in a production version of this car in any significant numbers. Running into the same issues that they had on the prior chassis.

Not exactly true. The main reason I think Ford switched from 4V DOHC to 3V SOHC is of course co$t. The other reason was to decrease the exterior dimensions so that a 5.4 3V SOHC would fit. A 5.4 3V is more narrow than a 4.6 4V DOHC engine, so this is no longer an issue. I seriously doubt you'll see any DOHC 4V variant in the new Mustang unless they decide to put one in the next gen Cobra R. DOHC 4Vs went upscale(see Ford GT), and 3V will be for the mainstream, both 4.6 and 5.4. Good luck with the 'cammer/fr500' engine fantasy... :D

Just my opinion of course, but it stands to reason.

RandyB said:
Not exactly true. The main reason I think Ford switched from 4V DOHC to 3V SOHC is of course co$t. The other reason was to decrease the exterior dimensions so that a 5.4 3V SOHC would fit. A 5.4 3V is more narrow than a 4.6 4V DOHC engine, so this is no longer an issue. I seriously doubt you'll see any DOHC 4V variant in the new Mustang unless they decide to put one in the next gen Cobra R. DOHC 4Vs went upscale(see Ford GT), and 3V will be for the mainstream, both 4.6 and 5.4. Good luck with the 'cammer/fr500' engine fantasy... :D

Just my opinion of course, but it stands to reason.
Possibly a 5.4 3V is more narrow but you will see a DOCH 4.6 in the new car. I also don't see them loosing the square bore engine that the 4.6 is in favor of the 5.4. Cobra owners love the rev happy nature of their motors too much. Willing to make a small wager on it? Say a 20 spot. I will send you the payment via pay pall if I win. They’re not going to dump the 32V in the cobra. It's got way to loyal of a following. Their also continuing to make new parts via FRPP so they’re not going to 86 the 32V DOHC setup for mustangs. It would kill any future market and any chance for them to recoup the costs of the development of lets say the FR500 intake currently available.
I think your dead wrong on this one.

It's not worth betting over, but why would Ford spend money developing the 3V head if they were just going to go back to the 4V anyways? They want to move away from having to assemble the more complex and costly DOHC engines. Weight is also a problem, and the cast iron s/c 4.6 engine is much heavier than the new 4.6 3V variant. I don't know of any Cobra R owners that were disappointed in the longer stroke of the 5.4, so I don't see that as an argument for not using a 3V variant of that engine in a Mustang.

It's all speculation, and I enjoy that as much as anyone. One thing is for certain, it will either be a 4.6 or a 5.4. Ford doesn't have a production block that measures the magical '5.0 liters'. I suppose they could make one, but the tight bore spacing of the modular engine family is working against that if they want to add it in the bore.

We shall see. Whatever they come out with for the SVT, I hope it's good.

RandyB said:
It's not worth betting over, but why would Ford spend money developing the 3V head if they were just going to go back to the 4V anyways? They want to move away from having to assemble the more complex and costly DOHC engines. Weight is also a problem, and the cast iron s/c 4.6 engine is much heavier than the new 4.6 3V variant. I don't know of any Cobra R owners that were disappointed in the longer stroke of the 5.4, so I don't see that as an argument for not using a 3V variant of that engine in a Mustang.

It's all speculation, and I enjoy that as much as anyone. One thing is for certain, it will either be a 4.6 or a 5.4. Ford doesn't have a production block that measures the magical '5.0 liters'. I suppose they could make one, but the tight bore spacing of the modular engine family is working against that if they want to add it in the bore.

We shall see. Whatever they come out with for the SVT, I hope it's good.
All good points but SVT owners are willing to pay extra for that more expensive hand built DOHC motor so I don't see it going away in the Cobra. Possibly in the Mach 1 or in a Boss unit.
They could easily obtain the 5.0 with a minor bore increase and with a different crank and rods. Standard stroke job, you can obtain that extra .4L without punching out the cylinders by much at all. I mean it's only increasing displacement by 21 CID roughly and that can be done with a minor bore job.

I’m sure not many Cobra r owners were disappointed but I’m sure your going to hear a lot of screaming if they dump the 4.6 for a 5.4. I would rather have the better characteristics of the 4.6.

CA Lightfoot said:

-- Boss version: supercharged "390"-hp, beefed-up rear, not IRS, rear-seat delete, spare tire delete, trunk-mounted battery... with simple mods, easy 500-hp 11-sec street/strip car.

-- SVT Cobra: naturally-aspirated 400hp, IRS, etc... blow the GTO into the weeds. I just wonder how Ford can get 400hp from a 5.4 when GM needs 6.0 for their 400hp LS2.
maybe the 3 extra cams 16 extra valves :rolleyes:

CA Lightfoot said:

Uhmm, there is a 5.7 liter 405 hp n/a LS6

yah, now with the acceptance of the mod motor I dont see why ford doesnt bump the 4.6 up to a 5.0.

I mean if they are going to style the new stang just for the sake of being retro you'd think they would WANT to also go back to the famous 5.0 and it would be cool to see that 5.0 on the sides of mustangs again, only this time with way over 350 hp.

I want forged internals on my 5.0. If they mass produce a motor with forged internals and such it will help reduce the cost of it.

V8 's are cool cause of torque, why not give us a little more????

whatever.

pyro_la said:
isent the new SVT gona push close to 500hp...or so ive herd.

it had better at least match the current SVT hp (390hp),

It would be cool to see the next cobra r be twin turbo or something else thats cool and new. twin turbo hurricane 6.2l with over 700hp???? why not??