06 GT exhaust help

Dan02gt

mazing how much gas smell came from that tiny hole
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 2, 2003
Greenville, NC
Hey guys I'm looking for a good axle back system for my GT. I have the Flowmaster axle back system now w/ an off-road H pipe and I can't stand it. The sound is way to raspy, loud, and the drone is so bad the whole car vibrates like crazy at low RPMs. I'm accustomed to loud exhaust and some drone and have had this combo on 2 off my previous GTs (96 & 02) and loved it. My guess is the lack of tail pipes cause it to sound like crap. I also did not like the way the car sounded with the stock H-pipe and the flows so I don't thank a new mid pipe is going to do the trick. What experiences have you guys had with other axle back systems? I'm thinking: Steeda, Magnaflow, or Borla but don't know which, in fact I might put the stock mufflers back on till I get something else.

• Sponsors (?)

Unfortunately the placement of the mufflers is really prone to horrible droaning. Have you thought about adding a short set of resonators to the mix? I think that and possibly a set of high flow cats in the X would go along way to taming the sound.

Jason

Dan, I've been leaning towards getting just the axle-back Flows with the stock pipes. I had 40-series Deltas on my 2000 GT, but I understand it's totally different now with no pipe after the muffler. What didn't you like about the sound? Was it not noticably throatier/louder than stock? Too much drone even with the stock pipes?

I went from stock, to Flowmaster axle back, stock mid (some drone, great roar, though), to Magnaflow axle back, stock mid (Roush conversion, better than stock, not as manly as the Flow's), to Magnaflow axle and hi-flo x-pipe (appreciably louder, very little drone). I love the current setup. Sounds evil WOT, growls like a caged beast coming down the gears. Dunno if you compared your new H v's the OE midpipe, but my x must've been 10lbs lighter!

I think the setup I have is probably something like what you're looking for - rare drone but enough thunder to set off car alarms, if you try.:nice:

I had a 04 gt and had flowmater 40 series with off road H-Pipes and the sound was great but the exhaust fumes were horrible. I just recently bought a 06 gt and went with the SLP Loudmouth exaust and it sounds just as good as my 04. Best of all the SLP Loudmouth was one of the cheaper of the variety of exaust systems without the fumes.

I'm running an 05 GT with the JBA Longtube Headers with the Catted H-Pipe and the stock mufflers. I don't get any drone and when you punch it you defineitely hear it. The added bonus is horsepower since the axlebacks give you squat.

The Diablosport Predator for the 05 won't allow you to turn off the O2's but I think the SCT XCal-II wil.

FL2005GT, Sorry for the long wait to replay, I've been in Jamaica for the last week. To me the flowmaster axle back had to much drone even with the stock h pipe. In fact the drone was the only loud thing about it. Now with the o/r h pipe not only is the drone loud as crap the rest of it is loud as crap as well. Don't get me wrong, I like loud exhaust but it comes to a point where it is too loud to sound good, and this setup is right there at that point.

How do the stock mufflers sound with an o/r h pipe?

I'm not looking for a drone free setup, I just want a setup that does not try to vibrate the car apart with drone.