06 GT Headrest Problem

66-&-06

Apr 30, 2006
I’m not sure if this question belongs in the tech forum or discussion forum… If I goofed, flame away.:D

I’m the proud owner of a new 06 GT with cloth seats. I have back issues so I need to have my seat back in a fairly upright position. Doing so puts the headrest so far forward, I have to tilt my head forward to keep from being smacked in the back of the head while driving. Not a very comfortable position. I test drove a GT with leather earlier this year and don’t remember this being an issue. Is the underlying design of the cloth seats different from the leather seats?

The headrest tilt doesn’t appear to be adjustable so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for either adjusting the headrest tilt back or of any aftermarket headrests that match the GT cloth seats. I’ve tried (admittedly not very hard) bending the rods but they are pretty stiff. Not surprising given headrest is a safety “feature”. At this point, I have the headrests turned backward which provides no support in the event of a crash. Having been through a major rear end crash in the past, I can appreciate why they are there. Any Ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I think we're all out of luck on this one. I have leather seats and the headrest is not in the best position for me either. There is no adjustment (except for up and down).

Although, I have to say one thing. I have kind of adjusted to it myself. Whatever settings I have for the seat position and tilt now, I really can't say that I am being bothered by the headrest.

The headrests do come off.. You'll find a small black button, at the base of the headrest post, facing the driver's side window, you'll then find a small pin hole, at the base of the post, on the opposite side, you will need either a small safety pin, or small paper clip, then place the end of the clip or safety pin, into the pin hole, then at the same time, push both sides in together, to release it.. Then finally, pull up on the headrest and it will then, come off.. Anyway, that's always another option, if you're looking for aftermarket headrests, as replacements..

ADW

66-&-06 said:
I’m not sure if this question belongs in the tech forum or discussion forum… If I goofed, flame away.:D

I’m the proud owner of a new 06 GT with cloth seats. I have back issues so I need to have my seat back in a fairly upright position. Doing so puts the headrest so far forward, I have to tilt my head forward to keep from being smacked in the back of the head while driving. Not a very comfortable position. I test drove a GT with leather earlier this year and don’t remember this being an issue. Is the underlying design of the cloth seats different from the leather seats?

The headrest tilt doesn’t appear to be adjustable so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for either adjusting the headrest tilt back or of any aftermarket headrests that match the GT cloth seats. I’ve tried (admittedly not very hard) bending the rods but they are pretty stiff. Not surprising given headrest is a safety “feature”. At this point, I have the headrests turned backward which provides no support in the event of a crash. Having been through a major rear end crash in the past, I can appreciate why they are there. Any Ideas?

I have a 05 stang with the same problem. I also reversed the HR but thats not a good solution. I am trying a 2002 thunderbird HR, the shape is much better. Not sure if it will work