06 GT stalls during acceleration

ChucksStang

May 4, 2006
I bought a brand new 06 GT in Feb. Under hard accelleration it stalls. It's almost like the engine completely dies for a second then its back. The problem is intermittant, most of the time it will pin you to the seat but every once in a while it happens. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Sponsors (?)

ChucksStang said:
I bought a brand new 06 GT in Feb. Under hard accelleration it stalls. It's almost like the engine completely dies for a second then its back. The problem is intermittant, most of the time it will pin you to the seat but every once in a while it happens. Has anyone else experienced this?

A couple of days ago on my drive home, doing maybe 75-80 on Hwy 152 thru the mountains, some ditz in a mini-van came up on my tail, so I dropped it into 3rd and punched it and it stumbled for a split-second and then took off.
Caught me off guard a little. I tried the same thing a while later without any cars on my ass, and it didn't do it.
:shrug:

was the TCS on, and did you just shift? the torque management will do this. it closes the throttle to limit power, to save wear on parts. the car basically falls flat on its face, then jumps back up. makes you look like you dont know how to shift properly. turn the TCS off, and it wont happen.

bigcat said:
was the TCS on, and did you just shift? the torque management will do this. it closes the throttle to limit power, to save wear on parts. the car basically falls flat on its face, then jumps back up. makes you look like you dont know how to shift properly. turn the TCS off, and it wont happen.

I bet you're right.
My '02 GT use to do the same thing if I down-shifted and punched the gas in anger. It always looked like I didn't know how to shift, or missed a gear...
but I guess it was the traction control preventing wheel-spin or something?
:shrug:

mine did this for a while ever with the tcs off, but it has not done it in a long time. It almost like a hit the brakes hard then the car would take off.

Rev limiter

Are you sure that you aren't hitting the redline before you shift? If you hit the redline the ECM drops fueling and leaves you dead in the water before it removes the derate. It must be an engine protection feature, but damn its annoying.

My car was doing this for a while just after I got the car. It has since stopped. It would only do it after criusing on the highway for a while. Then I would lighlty step on the gas to accelerate and then the car would stomble. It was like the car lost power, then it was okay until I would cruise again for a while. I called Ford on Monday about it and they said that my production date did not apply to the TSB. I also called the dealership to make an appointment and they said that they need to check the car out. I realize that the TSB must be duplicated. But at the same time how are they going to duplicate it when it only does it when I drive on the interstate for a while? There is no way that they could duplicate the complaint. So if I did take it in they would say "sorry but the technician couldn't find the problem." After running redline Sl-1 fuel treatment on a regular basis. (I add a few ounces at every fill up) It has not done this since. Hopefully it will stop, the last few times driving back and forth from Savannah and Orlando it was okay.

06 GT stall during acceleration

All, I was looking for this. I have had EXACTLY the same thing (5sp AUTO) happen and only after I took my car on a road trip. First on leg 1, the car did the stall thing at startup from a light an very light accererlation and I was very suprised but it was like the TCS kicked in or the rev limiter cut in but I never even hit 3K. Then on the way home crusing at about 65 I tried to pass a car the whole car cut out again shifting down 2 gears down in a 5 SP AUTO. The car cutout violently once maybe twice then I just let off with amazement and did not pass... Then all the way home, I tried to make this happen and it would NOT. The car then would do anything I ask up to normal AUTO shift points. Any ideas here as I have read all the threads. THX. I also have TSB 06-9-9 but have not acted on this yet. really strange and also I hear this could also be the drive-by-wire issue for Mustangs. let me know what you guys think.. THX

Bone stock 2006 GT Premium Auto, no mods at all.

Thanks for posting the TSB on that. I have been driving with the TCS on and will try it without before I take mine in and have it checked. I also printed the TSB up. I posted any earlier question on the same thing, just haven't gone on a road trip lately but have one coming up this month. Thanks again.:hail2:

My car does it once in a while when starting off at a light or stop sign. I have twin Ford focus fuel pumps and traction control is programmed OFF at all times. I'll email Kevin MacDonald @ Diablosport this week and see what he's got to say about it.

Same problem here...TCS has been off...

I am experiencing the same problem as well.

My GT has hesitated under hard accelaration due to the rev limiter but also does it at times not anywhere near redline. At first I thought I was getting bad gas but its been too often for it to be gas all the time. I have been running with the TCS off(just about always) and it still does it. It may do it a few times a week or less. I have never had the hesitation happen at highway cruise speeds as indicated by some others here.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

~Don

06GT-5Spd
Steeda CAI w/ Inlet Elbow
Steeda AxleBack
Predator Tunes

Update on my car

Mine will be going in for the new fuel pump. It's hesitation almost got me in trouble this weekend on the freeway. Was switching lanes and a minivan was in my blind spot and it sputtered just long enough to get the adrenalin goin. How ever, it didn't let me down today comin home and I now have 6 kills to my credit.:D And I'm stock.:D :D
Has anyone noticed with the info control panel that the "averge speed" stays the same? After cruizin between 70-80 mph when I ran thru the info check several times and it stays on avg. speed 34 mph. How can that be if your running 70/80 mph for an hour? Is there a TSB on that? Mines an 05. Thanks:hail2: