08 HID's in a 07 mustang

91frppgt

Dec 16, 2005
I brought a set of used HIDs off a 08 mustang(stock) for a great price. I was under the impression that they would be a direct replacement but the connections are different. Is it possible to make them work with little modification? or should i just sell them?

• Sponsors (?)

I have not done it, but here is some general information. You need the ignitor boxes fo the HID's - did you get those too? I don't know if Ford has them integrated into the light assembly or if they are separate. I'd get s schematic and compare the two and solve it that way. Hope that helps.

HID's actually draw LESS current than normal halogen bulbs.

:shrug:

I have not done it, but here is some general information. You need the ignitor boxes fo the HID's - did you get those too? I don't know if Ford has them integrated into the light assembly or if they are separate. I'd get s schematic and compare the two and solve it that way. Hope that helps.

HID's actually draw LESS current than normal halogen bulbs.

:shrug:

Valeo-Sylvania integrated the ballasts into the headlight assemblies. You just have to get the correct plugs and re-wire them. I believe the HID connectors are exact mirrors of the stock 9008 plugs. There's a ground, low-beam, and a high beam connection. The high-beam activates a shield that sends light into a high beam reflector area. The low-beam energizes the ballast.

HID's do consume LESS current than halogen. In fact, the average power consumption for a single HID is about 35W compared to 55W/65W for halogen. However, the HID ballasts send 23,000 V (that's 23 kV) to the HID capsule to ignite the gas/salt mixture and then maintain 40V-45V to sustain the arc (For D3/D4 HID, mercury-free which is what Ford used for 08-up Stangs). For the older D1/D2 HID, it requires 80-85 V to sustain the arc, but the power consumption remains about the same.

Harness connectors are different, don't sell them, you simply need to splice in. It's not rocket science, be sure to solder your connections and seal them.

I'm 100% positive and sorry for my delay in coming back to this thread. I did a saleen conversion and an 08 into 05 conversion about 7 months ago for two seperate local guys. Saleen was a pain in the ass, had to add in an additional relay, The ballast was drawing heavy. The 08 into 05 conversion was a matter of getting the same plug end from Ford and splicing it in so that everything was oem in the end. Honestly about 5 minutes worth of wiring work. The bumper cover removal took longer than the head lamp swap and wire.

Regardless, if you can simply figure out the high low, this is easy peasy. Do you have any electrical testing tools at your disposal? Multimeter specifically..

No, it is not. SteedaGus said their HIDs are the OEM lights - made by Valeo-Sylvania, the supplier of the OEM HIDs. He also includes the adapter harnesses and everything. $1000 is still a lot of money.