08 mustang hp question

KisStang

Apr 2, 2006
Naperville IL
So I sold my yellow mustang that I kissed and won ... sad. I am now in the works of getting a new job and will need to buy a new car for my daily commute. I was at the ford dealership today and they have an new 08 mustang gt that they will sell me for 21,000. so I figure it might be the car I buy. the question i have is how much HP can these 4.6 handle without stressing them out? and is the kenne bell 2.6 stage 2 too much for this application? can I just buy it, bolt it on and not worry or do I have to take some other things into consideration. this would be my first modular stang so I know nothing about these engines. Thanks for any info you have, and yes i searched the forums and couldnt find the info I was looking for ... just to get that out of the way.

• Sponsors (?)

21K is pretty good. I got lucky and picked up my 08 for $19400 with only 13 miles on it from Galpin Ford (So Cal). Used to work there years ago. If you search this and other mustang forums, the stock engine can handle about 450 rwhp. That's the magic number that Saleen and Roush try not to exceed as they match the factory 3/36 warranty but not the 5/60000 powertrain warranty that Ford offers oon vehicle's straight from the plant. Longevity of the internals at 450 rwhp is really up to how hard you beat on it. Ford does offer the big kit as Tommyroc stated above but if it were me, I wouldn't put it on w/o beefing the internals for the fact that the Saleen extreme 550hp has forged internals. Don't want you to start breaking other components. That is my opinion, but I am a very conservative buyer.