08 mustang interior mirror with homelink

ausmad

Jun 24, 2008
Little Elm, TX
Does anyone know where I can buy 08 mustang interior mirror with homelink, and compass. The cost from a dealer is very overpriced

In the mustang accesory catalog this item recommends dealer installation.

Also what is needed to be able to install this mirror?

I think if it is only a plug in option I can install it myself.

• Sponsors (?)

Interior Mirror

Go to a website AutoDAX - Automotive Specialties. and you will see the Gentex Mirrors with the options you want for about half the price that Ford wants. Gentex actually makes the Ford OEM mirror. I only wanted the mirror with the compass and temperature. I installed mine about 4 months ago. If you get it with the "M" harness it simplifies the install, however it is more than a plug and play. Go to this site for excellent installation instructions Auto-Dimming Mirror for Mustang, it really is not a very difficult install.

Ron

I got a self dimming mirror with compass out of a wrecked Mercury that a buddy of mine had that he was parting out, and I also found a homelink unit out of a Lincoln Town Car sunvisor, total money invested $0.00, easy installed only 2 wires for the homelink unit which I tapped into the wires for the dome lamps, and only 2 wires for the mirror which I ran to the right side kick panel and tapped into a wire that I found that was only hot when key was on.

Attachments

• 003-2.jpg
    003-2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 670
I have the homelink plus compass and thermometer. got it from by bodyshop guy who got if from Ford for a whole lot less than I could even at wholesale. He installed it. Said most difficult thing was removing old mirror. It works great and I love it.

Check out Ebay, I've got one in my car, and I love it !!

I have the homelink plus compass and thermometer. got it from by bodyshop guy who got if from Ford for a whole lot less than I could even at wholesale. He installed it. Said most difficult thing was removing old mirror. It works great and I love it.

Uhh ... Why in the world would removing it be hard? It's just one screw than you pull it off ... :(

Uhh ... Why in the world would removing it be hard? It's just one screw than you pull it off ... :(

Removing the stock rear view mirror on late-model Mustangs is a real nightmare and not for a novice. It doesn't have a set screw but needs a special tool. Removal can be done with a screwdriver if you're really lucky, but more often than not you'll crack your windshield. Do a search and you'll find horror stories galore. I've removed lots of mirrors over the years but absolutely couldn't get mine to budge. I took it to a local auto glass shop; the owner told me that these cars are his #1 headache.

Removing the stock rear view mirror on late-model Mustangs is a real nightmare and not for a novice. It doesn't have a set screw but needs a special tool. Removal can be done with a screwdriver if you're really lucky, but more often than not you'll crack your windshield. Do a search and you'll find horror stories galore. I've removed lots of mirrors over the years but absolutely couldn't get mine to budge. I took it to a local auto glass shop; the owner told me that these cars are his #1 headache.

Do you mean removing the "button" or the mirror? I'm not talking about the "button", no need to remove that from the glass. All of the Homelink mirrors that are meant for our cars come with the correct mount that will just use a set screw. Correct that all you need is a flat blade screw driver to pop the factory mirror off the button, I had a brain fart and was thinking about how the Homelink mirror is and not the factory mirror. I've done nearly 50 of them on F150s and Mustangs over the years, no broken windshields. I'm not talking about removing the "button", I know that can be very hard and can damage windshields.

Removing OEM Mirror

Removing the OEM mirror can be a real pain, I finally gave up on it and followed the advise offered on another forum and went to an auto glass shop. Many have done this and most have not even been charged. One thing that is good is that most of the replacement mirrors use a set screw which is easy to work with.

Do you mean removing the "button" or the mirror? I'm not talking about the "button", no need to remove that from the glass. All of the Homelink mirrors that are meant for our cars come with the correct mount that will just use a set screw. Correct that all you need is a flat blade screw driver to pop the factory mirror off the button, I had a brain fart and was thinking about how the Homelink mirror is and not the factory mirror. I've done nearly 50 of them on F150s and Mustangs over the years, no broken windshields. I'm not talking about removing the "button", I know that can be very hard and can damage windshields.
No, I'm referring to the stock mirror itself. While the aftermarket mirrors (usually made by Mito/Gentex) are held in place on the button by a set screw, the factory mirror is held on by a spring clip that is designed to be released by a special fork-shaped tool, available at most any auto glass store. It is possible, using a small flat-bladed screwdriver, to release the clip and remove the stock mirror, but it requires more finesse that force; very often a frustrated installer will apply too much leverage and break the glass. As I said, do a quick search on the Mustang forums and you'll find a long list of those who've ruined a windshield trying to remove a stock mirror. The S197 is legendary among glass installers for being a problem.

I always thought people were having a problem with the "button" and not the mirror. I've done so many of them without a problem so I'm not sure where people are going wrong. The first time I did it I was worried because of people scaring everyone on the forum.

Homelink interior mirror install

Homelink interior mirror install

Just sending a update.

I installed a gentex homelink mirror, with compass, and temp

The install is very easy to do, I think anyone that can work on cars can handle this install.

The hardest part of the install was getting the old mirror off the mounting wedge.

I found a easy way to get the mirror off the wedge with no trouble.

Instructions to get the old mirror off

1: Push mirror up toward the headliner.

2: wedge a small screwdriver in slot between the mounted wedge on the glass, and the mirror mounting connector.

3: user a little force upward on the mirror, while at the same time twisting the screwdriver the mirror mount will slide up and off the wedge very easily.

*Warning do not push the mirror very hard when pushing up, use very slight pressure.

The entire install took about 2 hours, this included wiring, and figuring out how to get the old mirror off.

I am very happy with my mirror upgrade, all features are working perfectly.

:nice: