09 Spectre CAI problem!!!

GT-Girl

Feb 2, 2009
Houston Texas
Hi my husband installed a Spectre CAI from Auto zone. After install I now have a lean code that is making my engine light come on. He rechecked everything to make sure all the clamps were tight. Still same problem. He call Spectre. They sent him a new plastic insert for the Mass air flow senser. After install the engine light came on again. I have 1000 miles on my new GT and I should not have a engine light on. oh yeah no tune by the way. We wanted to wait till we had more miles on the car.

Just in case. My hubby knows what he is doing. We have a 66 Shelby GT350 and a 02 Z06. So a simple CAI should not be a problem.

Any advise would be great!!

• Sponsors (?)

I am not familiar with that cold air intake. But most cold air intakes do require a new tune. I would take that intake back and go with an intake and tuner that most people on this forum recommend. C&L or JLT intake with a tune from Bamachips or Brenspeed.com

I second that option and would HIGHLY tossing that junk away...
Never buy performance enhancers from auto zone.... Just my opinion
Get either a C&L or a JLT with a good tune
Good Luck

-Josh

These cars are so very touchy. The slightest change in air flow will upset your fuel/air. I had a "no tune" CAI from Roush that ran lean, then I took out the insert and it would barely idle and wouldn't rev past 4000 until I got the right tune in there. With the same tune and the insert installed my car smoked. It's not like th ole days when you could walk to your tail pipe and smell the exhuast and then turn 2 screws on your carb to adjust the air/fuel. It flat our won't run unless it's just right. When you buy parts for these s197's you should only buy parts specifically made for the mustangs. Generic parts will work in some circumstances, but when it comes to anything that effects the engine management system you should stick to the parts specific to this vehichle. This forum and other forums are full of guys (& gals) that are more than willing to give their advice on any mods from engine parts to windshield wipers and help you make the right decisions. All you got to do is ask.

i had the same intake on my car for a while, and i also had the same problem with the bank 1+2 lean codes. i got it to eventually clear by re-clocking the bend right before the mass air flow sensor and making sure that everything at that junction was seated properly. After fixing it i had it on the car for 4 months with no problems. ended up tossing it for a jlt, altho actually i kinda miss the chrome under the hood :nice:

I agree with the masses. Its running lean because your car's computer is sending the same amount of fuel as it would if you had the original intake. The computer has to be recalibrated for the increased air flow. Even if they sent you an insert, all it does is basically restrict airflow to match what your fuel system is already sending. To get the most out of a cold air intake, you really need to get a tuned kit. You won't be disappointed. Good luck and welcome to the board. Fellow TEXANS :D