1/4 Mile, Horsepower Estimate

MikeR351w

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2001
Wisconsin
I have a 92 Mustang 5.0 with the auto trans. I have a 8.8 rear with a 3.27 posi. I also have an aluminum driveshaft, chassis stiffening, and a curb weight of about 2900 pounds. My performance mods include a 65mm throttle body, cold air intake fenderwell, underdrive pulleys, no air cond., full exhaust from headers back with a H-Pipe and NO cats (Ssshhh, dont tell the cops), a tranny cooler, and I will be giving it a timing bump. My guess is that I have somewhere between 30 to 55 more horse power and 20 to 30 more lb. ft. With that much power, what will i run in the quarter, (I live in wisconsin near lake michigan).??? How much would slicks help??? How much more HP would a timing bump give?????????? Thanks for ANY guesses!!!!!!!!!

Mike OUT

• Sponsors (?)

well mike last year i had those mods, rockers, headers and i switched my auto to a manual which seemed be a lot faster felt like 40hp with the different gearing i ran a 14.1, .560 reaction i would assume your car would be a little over 15 on slicks good luck

MikeR351w said:
I have a 92 Mustang 5.0 with the auto trans. I have a 8.8 rear with a 3.27 posi. I also have an aluminum driveshaft, chassis stiffening, and a curb weight of about 2900 pounds. My performance mods include a 65mm throttle body, cold air intake fenderwell, underdrive pulleys, no air cond., full exhaust from headers back with a H-Pipe and NO cats (Ssshhh, dont tell the cops), a tranny cooler, and I will be giving it a timing bump. My guess is that I have somewhere between 30 to 55 more horse power and 20 to 30 more lb. ft. With that much power, what will i run in the quarter, (I live in wisconsin near lake michigan).??? How much would slicks help??? How much more HP would a timing bump give?????????? Thanks for ANY guesses!!!!!!!!!

Mike OUT

Go to the Stangnet calculator and crunch some numbers!!!

PURESTREET5006 said:
You might break into the 13's and thats a big if...That gear 3.27 aint gonna cut it & that aod is gonna eat up HP.Did you change the converter at all? your gonna need more stall than 1800 if thats the stock converter? I see you've been reading MM&FF alot...but i'm seeing a 14.50 in your ET future :( And if i'm not mistaken the 92's were down on HP to 205hp

93's were the 205, but that was just due to a different rating method by ford. The heads, cam, and intakes were the same. Same motor for the most part that make up the power....now the Cobras were different.

I agree with what was said on the AOD and gears...the AOD will eat your power. 3.27's are slugs for AOD's...go 4.10's. Say you get 40 hp at the crank. That is pushing it. With the AOD, you will likely see a 18-20% loss. So add your 40 to the stock 225, you have 265 which as I said is stretching it. **You can't just add "advertised" power increases, if that was the case you would have a car with all the mods (heads, cam, intake, tb, exhaust...) making around 400 at the crank...if you go add all the numbers together.** It doesn't necessarily work that way. Anyway, say you do make 265 at the crank. That would equate to around 215 rwhp. In a 2900 pound car with 3.27's I would say you would run a [email protected] you have a shift kit and stall. Get 4.10's you might hit 13.90's. Just MO