1/4 Mile With No Serpentine Belt ???

YtnGT

Founding Member
Sep 23, 2002
TX
I have had a Mezerie electric water pump for almost two years and just now thought of removing the serpentine belt at the track. Would I damage the engine or accessories running the car without a belt on at all? Of course I would need an extra battery at the track in case the car was run long enough without the belt turning the alternator.

I know I have seen LS1s doing something with their serpentine belt at the track. Heck I might be able to pick up a .10 with just removing the belt. :D That would be cool.

• Sponsors (?)

I thought about doing that LOL because I have the mezerie pump too.The battery will last a little while with the headlights off....go on a wednesday night and wait until the lanes are pretty much clear, then run it....btw sounds like you took it out, how much more power was there W/O the belt?

YtnGT said:
Yes as initially posted I have a Mezerie pump. But without power steering or power brakes driving was difficult. Has any one tried this at the track?

I thought about trying this for the hell of it but no power brakes at the end of the track would really suck. You would have a real hard time stopping form 100+ mph.

also about 2 minutes of driving the car I had steam coming from the hood.. and coolant all over the engine.. it has a bitch getting the coolant out of the coils sucked..

WRXracer said:
also about 2 minutes of driving the car I had steam coming from the hood.. and coolant all over the engine.. it has a bitch getting the coolant out of the coils sucked..

Crap you freekin run it that hot?????Thats crazy, you could have screwed up the heads or blew a gasket....your lucky.

Please do not take your belt off unless you HAVE AN ELECTRIC WATER PUMP.

The difference in power was supprising... But not recommended for the street.

A quick question: Why did I loose power brakes with the belt off? I did not see a power brake pump only a power steering pump.

After looking at the belt routing it looks possible to use a shorter belt (like LS1s). That way you could go around the crank, water pump, PS pump, and tensioner. Bypassing the AC & alternator pulleys. Has anyone tried this???