1/4 time numbers with steeper gears..?

dinkster9

Sep 11, 2003
I have a 1988 california model (so it has a mass air flow sensor) hatchback LX 5.0 AOD (3.27)

100% factory stock mustangs in this model were supposed to do about ~6.2 0-60 and ~14.8 1/4 times

I have no idea what my car runs as its getting old and i've never taken it to a track, but does run strong. I took out the spare tire and kit which shaved off 40 pounds! The car is still practically stock...

Mods i've done:
k/n filter charger kit strait to MAF sensor
3 chambered 2 1/2" flowmasters
bosch platium +4 spark plugs
changed cap/rotor/wires

Big question i was wondering (assuming perfect traction) what kind of (time) difference would i see going to say 3.73 or 4.10 gearing?

Everyone says getting gears is the biggest/best bang for the buck (besides NOS) so i was just wondering what the numbers were...i mean if its only going to be less than 1/2 a second i would rather save my money for a turbo :)

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

and i highly doubt that an AOD would do that in the 1/4 stock. mine does high 15's with a couple of mods, but stock gears. On my old 5.0 hatch i went from 16.00 to 14.5 from 2.73 gears to 4.10's.

Yes, I hit it in 3rd gear to make up for the weak top end of the stock block.I might try it after I hook up off the line once I replace all of my gaskets with stronger ones. Im gonna throw a positve displacement supercharger on it next month but will decrease the shot. I have more then enough torque and power in the lower rpms to launch, however on street radials, traction is a big issue as you can tell by my 60 ft. But I wanna see how far I can go on street radials before I go to drags. If you throw on some drags with my mods without the bottle, it will easily break mid 13's with good driving. I have to ease off the line to hook, but hopefully with drags I wont have to so I take advantage of the converter and gears......

Best Choice For Better Performance From An AOD

There's no doubt the 4.10s are going to provide the best performance in an AOD car. They are perfect for the factory car's weight/horsepower/RPM/Tire Height combo. If driven well, the car could hit mid-low 14's with an otherwise stock set-up. However, with 225 wide tires, traction would be a problem with the 4.10s. You may want to upgrade to a set of Cobra wheels and go with factory height 245/45/17 tires. Also, a power adder would be awesome with the combo you already have. While turbos have the best results, a well tuned system can be very costly. A Kenne-Bell supercharger, however, has had very, very impressive results in stock 5.0s with automatics and no tuning.