~ $1,400.00 To Put In 4:10's?... <Swallows Hard>

Ford dealer should be last, and I mean LAST place you'll go to do any up grade on your car...or anything on your car unless its warrenty.

But 1400bucks is still really high side evfen for dealers. Just for the ****s&giggle, I just called my local Ford dealer, and asked them how much will it be to swap ring and pinion, and I told them i have full install kit.
they quoted me it'll be around 600bucks(which is high. I know).
I also called my local mechanic, and they quoted 200bucks, and about 175bucks if I bring my own oil...

• Sponsors (?)

Quick '97 GT said:
I'm in San Diego and things aren't cheap here.....JBA quoted me $580 for install of gears (including price of gears) or $320 if I brought them the gears. I thought that was expensive! Obviously, I was wrong! I had some baseline dyno pulls (3 pulls) done for $85. I thought it was worth it.

Good luck!
was the JBA price also including a speedcal (120$) or custom chip (365$)?

I bought my car w/ 4.10's but no speedo gear change(you need the speed cal thing) and called a couple of local places and tried to explain that it was just a simple unscrew/screw back in thing and I'd do it myself if I had a lift and the c-rings handy. All of them said "A cobra? well, you need to take it to a dealership." :nonono: Finally, I did. And they did it right away for $20, so not all dealer service places are the same.

Vegas isn't cheap either. I called around and most were quoting around $450 without bearing replacement and $575 with. But I've spoke to some people that had theirs done at these places and some are now complaining about gear whine. So, I did more research and find the best recommended place in town and they want $580 without bearing replacement and $715 with. That's out the door. I only have ~47,500 miles on my car so I'm hoping no bearing replacement is necessary.

I'll be doing the speed cal myself.

Mega-Man said:
Oh, and thanks Craig--I'm also calling up the place who said they'd dyno my car for $150.00 /hr. After hearing advice from you all, I'm in no hurrying to throw money away just to get stats on my car.

No problem bro. I hate it when shops try to rip fellow stang owners off. Unless that $150 is for tuning too (which I doubt it is) tell them in a nice way that you'll take your business elsewhere. :nice:

BigHairyMonkey said:
jesus craig u cant muster better than 14 flat w/ that cobra? whats the deal?

Orlando Speedway is one of the worst prepped tracks around. I can MUCH easier hook on the damn street. Its also smack dab in the middle of summertime, and the humidity is a killer. Lastly, I've only been to the track twice in my life. I've tried different launching techniques but I just can't get traction, even babying a launch at 2k rpm. No matter what technique I try, I can't gain full traction until I shift into 3rd.

My trap speeds are there, but a bad track + humid weather + newbie driver + cobra = bad times. When it cools down in the fall I know i'll run better. I know the potential is there, becuase of my experiences racing others.

To put things into perspective, a bone stock 2k2 lightning I ran against ran a 15.3@93mph with a 2.3 '60. A 2k 5spd GT bone stock down to the 15" rims ran constant 14.6-14.8's @94-96mph. A LOUD LT1 trans am ran a 15.2@93, the '03 Cobras were running low-mid 13's @104-107mph, and the ricers were running 17's+. The I raced ALL of those cars and the only two cars that beat me was an '03 Cobra and a Supercharged built GT pushing 633rwtq.

Good news!

Just called-up one place, and he wanted $850 to do the gears... And this was a performance shop. However, I located a 2nd place and asked--$475 with parts & labor! I'm in the ballpark! Now, I just need to figure out a way to leave my car overnight without the wife finding out so I can get the gears & exhaust done at the same time... Oh boy. :)

Thanks once again for everyone's help and input! - Mega

Mega-Man said:
Good news!

Just called-up one place, and he wanted $850 to do the gears... And this was a performance shop. However, I located a 2nd place and asked--$475 with parts & labor! I'm in the ballpark! Now, I just need to figure out a way to leave my car overnight without the wife finding out so I can get the gears & exhaust done at the same time... Oh boy. :)

Thanks once again for everyone's help and input! - Mega

If $475 includes tax then its a fair deal, and with the luck your having I say take what you can get! ;) Make sure the gears are Ford Racing brand.

Trick98GT said:
HOLY FAWK!!

I paid 200 for the local mustang mechanic to throw mine in...1400???in just labor?????????? that's crazy expensive

Yes, yes it is... :)

And yes Craig, I'm at the point where $475 is something I'm very comfortable with considering what I've heard the past couple of days. LOL I'm actually going to hit the net and do a search for the lowest price (for the gear) I can find to try and lower that figure.

- Mega

Mega-Man said:
Yes, yes it is... :)

And yes Craig, I'm at the point where $475 is something I'm very comfortable with considering what I've heard the past couple of days. LOL I'm actually going to hit the net and do a search for the lowest price (for the gear) I can find to try and lower that figure.

- Mega

Good call. Avoid any other gear (richmond, etc) except for Ford Racing. As long as you go with that brand your golden. I have researched and heard about other gears not being reliable like the FRPPs gears.

68Stang said:
Yes, please. What kind do you have? :D

Do you like chocolate chip? I have an assortment of those:

Regular:

cookie1.jpg

With M&M's:

mm-chocolate-chip-lg.jpg

And extra chunky chocolate chip:

big_chunky_chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

Decided which cookie is best for you, and we'll see if we can getcha one. :nice:

GDawg said:
Vegas isn't cheap either. I called around and most were quoting around $450 without bearing replacement and $575 with. But I've spoke to some people that had theirs done at these places and some are now complaining about gear whine. So, I did more research and find the best recommended place in town and they want $580 without bearing replacement and $715 with. That's out the door. I only have ~47,500 miles on my car so I'm hoping no bearing replacement is necessary.

I'll be doing the speed cal myself.
Yeah it took me a while to find a place with a decent price. Mine was just about 400 and all i supplied was the ring and pinion and a shim kit. it ended up going to 500 something because i changed out my differential too. Where'd you get yours at GDawg? i had mine done at Dan's Driveline. :nice: