1.6 Rollor Rockers Adjustment?

Chris Marlin

Jul 28, 2013
Can you tell me how you guys do your adjustment? I have to set a new motor and I think I over tightened them. Did all the things your surpost to do. Set the exhaust valve to opening then loosened the adjuster and then backed off the lock. Waited a minute or so, let the lifter bleed up. Adjusted the nut till the rod started to get tight. Then a half of turn. I rechecked some I did by the feel of the rocker. At first they seemed way to loose. So I rechecked a few and restarted the procudure.. What Am I doing wrong? Sould there be any play side to side? Scorpion 1.6.

• Sponsors (?)

Intake at full lift, set the exhaust. Exhaust at full lift, set the intake. Just move the pushrod up and down with your fingers as you slowly tighten the adjuster. At the point when the pushrod stops moving up and down, go 1/2 turn more, then lock down the set screw.

Twisting the pushrod is one of the worst methods used.

Intake at full lift, set the exhaust. Exhaust at full lift, set the intake. Just move the pushrod up and down with your fingers as you slowly tighten the adjuster. At the point when the pushrod stops moving up and down, go 1/2 turn more, then lock down the set screw.

Twisting the pushrod is one of the worst methods used.
This method is incorrect. The cam needs to be on the base circle of the lobe in order to guarantee proper lash adjustment.

Starting with #1 cylinder, turn the engine over until the exhaust pushrod just begins to move up. At this point you can adjust the intake rocker arm.
After you have adjusted the intake rocker arm, you will now want to turn the engine over while watching the same intake pushrod that you just set, it will go full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. By following this procedure, you are assured that both of the lifters are at the base circle of the cam and that there is no additional pre-load applied to them from cam lift at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
This method is incorrect. The cam needs to be on the base circle of the lobe in order to guarantee proper lash adjustment.

Starting with #1 cylinder, turn the engine over until the exhaust pushrod just begins to move up. At this point you can adjust the intake rocker arm.
After you have adjusted the intake rocker arm, you will now want to turn the engine over while watching the same intake pushrod that you just set, it will go full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. By following this procedure, you are assured that both of the lifters are at the base circle of the cam and that there is no additional pre-load applied to them from cam lift at this point.

Your method is no different than mine. Each will have the cam on the base circle. The base circle is not so narrow that it has to be in a precise area to set preload or lash.