1.72 Roller Rockers on Stock heads

armadillon

Jul 19, 2007
Hey there, I have 1.72 roller rockers, and i used the shims i got from Crane. The shims were not equal on all valves, in fact, they were completely random and annoying as hell to install. Anyone else with me on that?

Anyways, my problem is quite frustrating, i can't seem to get the timing down. And now my valve cover leaked a bit of oil, and i barely tightened the dang thing and the head of the bolt sheared off. YAY, here come vicegrips. Also, when its retarded a bit i hear popping out of one of the valves, (I assume thats a bit of a backfire?) and i had it too advanced at one point and i started the car up and heard an AWFUL metal on metal clack clack noise. (I'm like oh ****)

So, what should my timing probably be on stock heads (stock springs and valves and stock cam)? And around what idle is probably good?

Anyone know if there's actually a gain on stock heads with 1.72 rockers? (They were a gift, and i'm curious, that's why i didn't install them along with new heads)

• Sponsors (?)

Crane Cobra 1.72 RR

I just installed a set on my 95 mustang with 303Y heads and a steeda 19 cam. I had the shims and didn't end using any of them. Number 2 and 6 exhaust were about a turn and a half to torque to the proper value. That's a half a turn more than spec. I put back together and started it. I got lots of noise. I pull the VC off and was ready to put the 1.6 back, but I went through the torque sequence again and they were all in spec. I was hitting on the oil baffel on the right side VC at the oil fill also I massage that with a ball peen hammer and every thing is find now.

I suggest given tham another retorquing. A pushrod may not be seated or something.