1 wire alt

Bdharn

Dec 8, 2003
I got a 100 amp 1 wire alt from summit also runing hei distrb. Trying to cut down on the wiring in engine bay. Waht do I hook to 1 wire to I know it needs 12 volts but what source do I get it from? thanks I knwo this is probably very simple but I just don't know.

• Sponsors (?)

Bdharn said:
I got a 100 amp 1 wire alt from summit also runing hei distrb. Trying to cut down on the wiring in engine bay. Waht do I hook to 1 wire to I know it needs 12 volts but what source do I get it from? thanks I knwo this is probably very simple but I just don't know.

The only hookup for your one wire Alt is a fairly heavy gauge wire from the stud on the Alternator to the positive stud on the Battery. It is grounded through the engine block and internally regulated.

The other original wires can be removed/isolated.

I would run a 8ga or better wire to carry the load (4 would be better). Over kill in this application will never be a problem.... but underkill just for an instant, and you are either walking, or roasting marshmellows. Neither of which is good.

DD
:flag: :nice:

There is only 1 wire and it goes to the + battery terminal.

Make sure your engine ground is in good condition. The alternator won't put out anything unless the engine is grounded well. Use the same size ground wire as you run from the alt to the battery.