10 best v-8 engines period the mighty 5.0

• Sponsors (?)

That's because Jack Roush makes his millions off of a pushrod-dominated sport. Pushrods are going obsolete.

LS7 > 4.6 DOHC > 5.0

so....................

Newer pushrod> dohc> older pushrod:shrug: ???????????

The 5.0 can be just as good as 3rd gen chevy it just needs todays technology! (apples to oranges comparison)

Some of you guys are comparing cutting edge pushrod engines (LS7) to 30 year old pushrod engines (5.0s). To make that an even fight you pretty much have to get an aftermarket block/stroker kit/h-c-i combo for the 5.0.

Why not just compare the LS7 to a Ferrari V12?

Also pushrods are far from obsolete people....if they were then NASCAR wouldn't use them, not to mention top fuel or any of the other millions of racers out there who are still using them. You can argue all day long that if NASCAR had the option that a lot of them might switch to OHC setups, but that doesn't change the fact that they're making 800hp with pushrods and carburetors.

Some of you guys are comparing cutting edge pushrod engines (LS7) to 30 year old pushrod engines (5.0s). To make that an even fight you pretty much have to get an aftermarket block/stroker kit/h-c-i combo for the 5.0.

Why not just compare the LS7 to a Ferrari V12?

Also pushrods are far from obsolete people....if they were then NASCAR wouldn't use them, not to mention top fuel or any of the other millions of racers out there who are still using them. You can argue all day long that if NASCAR had the option that a lot of them might switch to OHC setups, but that doesn't change the fact that they're making 800hp with pushrods and carburetors.

exactly!

i saw this article.i can find it also i fyou need me to. because its fords famous windsor thin walled block, just in newest form. the first 4.6 of the 96 year was the end of the windsor engines in mustangs, since they started in 64.5.

what you need to compare is for say an 89 mustang 5.0 vs an 89 camaro with the 305..what faster? what's a better bassed engine...the 351 is what should be compared to an 350.... i have a kid next door to me that thinks his LS1 camaro is GOD.....

i saw this article.i can find it also i fyou need me to. because its fords famous windsor thin walled block, just in newest form. the first 4.6 of the 96 year was the end of the windsor engines in mustangs, since they started in 64.5.

actually.....(just to be a smart a$$ on a technicality) the 99 and 00 4.6s were windsor titled motors the rest are romeos LOL

People forget that Ford stopped putting money into the 5.0 about 15 years ago, so in stock form of course it's not much of a match up against an engine that's had development money put into it within the last 2-5 years.

In the end, who gives a damn? Speed = MONEY, if you've got money, then you can build speed out of a tin can.

what you need to compare is for say an 89 mustang 5.0 vs an 89 camaro with the 305..what faster? what's a better bassed engine...the 351 is what should be compared to an 350.... i have a kid next door to me that thinks his LS1 camaro is GOD.....

THE 302 STOMPED ALL OVER THE 305 IN STOCK FORM MORE HORSES MORE TORQUE,
NOW A 4.6 IS WHAT 287 CUBES EVEN SMALER THAN EITHER THE 305 OR 302.
iT TOOK TILL THE 99 4.6 TO PUT OUT STOCK DECENT NUMBERS 260 HORSE ,DONT KNOW TORQUE FIGS, THOUGH!
THE 5.O CME STOCK IN A LIGHTER BODY THATS A LOT OF THE ADVANTAGE STOCK SPEAKING!!!!:nice:

THE 302 STOMPED ALL OVER THE 305 IN STOCK FORM MORE HORSES MORE TORQUE,
NOW A 4.6 IS WHAT 287 CUBES EVEN SMALER THAN EITHER THE 305 OR 302.
iT TOOK TILL THE 99 4.6 TO PUT OUT STOCK DECENT NUMBERS 260 HORSE ,DONT KNOW TORQUE FIGS, THOUGH!
THE 5.O CME STOCK IN A LIGHTER BODY THATS A LOT OF THE ADVANTAGE STOCK SPEAKING!!!!:nice:

4.6 is a 281 ci...it put out 300- 320ftlbs in several different forms. Ford should have stayed with the 5.0 and invested in its effeciency rather than creating a whole new power plant (4.6 was actually in some 91 model lincolns:bang: )

I dunno man....i've driven at least three 305 Camaros and none of them were anywhere as fast as a 5.0/5sp Mustang. Also the rarety of 5 speed Camaros in the '80s meant that your chance of meeting one at a light was pretty slim. My buddy had a really nice '87 IROC with a built up 305...it felt marginally better than a stock 5.0, but i watched him get his ass handed to him by a warmed over Talon, and it was from a roll so the AWD didn't really matter.

I had an LS1 till about 6 mo ago and trust me compared to the 5.0 it is god. unless you are running some serious boost there is no way that the ford will even compete. the powerband on an LS1 will rape a 5.0. LS1's are crap off the line, but when the 5.0 starts gasping for breath the LS1 pulls like a rocket trying to break orbit. but still it's apples to oranges. sure they are both push rod motors, but the design advances in the H/C/I are far more aggressive than anything ford put into their windsor motors. that's why stock vs stock the LS engine is about 2 sec ahead. I love both motors, but you gotta give credit where it is due. GM genIII smallblock is one of the very best out there. it's been in service for 10 years now and is not disappearing anytime soon. I'll take 400 stock ponies anyday.