100 HP improvement?

tylerrocks

Oct 13, 2005
Big Spring, TX
Did the title catch your eye?
(spelling might be off throughout the post due to the fact that I'm a little wasted) Basically, I have re-prioritized My engine buildup. I used to want a forged 347-331 stroker with AFR 185 Heads ect. (basicly the biggest and baddest feasable) But after Putting on a new suspension and getting the disc brakes I realized that If I only had about 100HP more (*NO* NOS) and a 5-Speed, I would have a satisfactory little street machine (gotta love the 2550 lb curb wieght). So my question basically boils down to a question of a camshaft. (I dont like the "If I" kind of question and promise this is the only one I will ever make, BUT,) If I have a 650 Speed demon carb on top of an edelbrock RPM (non-airgap) intake, and choose the right cam; is a 100 HP gain plausable? Any suggestions on the Cam Specs? What do you guys think about RPM vs. RPM Arigap? I would rather not buy heads, but if I had to I might consider some low cost heads and maybe some roller rockers. This Is on a 64.5 Stang With a 260. I think that a 400-500HP small block would be better suited for the 05 Stang (Which I will be getting for an "off to collage" present)

Tyler

• Sponsors (?)

first, stick with the non airgap rpm intake, just block off the exhaust crossover ports.

second, cam selection will only get you part way to your goal, but i recomend the xe268h cam. you are going to lose some low end torque, but it will get you about 50-60 extra hp.

third, you need to either port your stock heads, or invest in a set of ported head, or invest in a set of aftermarket heads. chp and s couple of other places have ported E7 heads that make decent power and run like $675 ready to bolt on. you can get windsor jr heads for around that but bare.

fourth, you are going to have to improve your exhaust system. tri-y headers with 1 5/8" tubes are the best way to go with a street engine. i recomend these because the rest of the engine is built towards midrange power, and that is where the tri-y's work well. add dual exhaust with 2 1/4" pipe out the back, and decent set of turbo mufflers, i like the walker dynomax mufflers myself.

fifth, add a set of 3.25-3.55 gears out back to take advantage of the extra power. this combination will satisfy you i think.