10k or not to 10k...

Bulldog66

Sep 3, 2006
That is the question!

First, let me explain a few things that may shed some light on the 10k before you get a rope and possy to hang me.

Some 8+ years ago I was in an OTJ accident that left me with 2 completely trashed legs. Both needing a complete knee replacement. I've undergone one replacement and due to aggervated spinal stinosis(degenertive back disease that was escalated by the accident, my surgeon has advised me to not undergo the other replacement in fear that my stinosis may flare and could possibly leave me paralyzed (sp) from the waist down) said the rehab I would have to endure may cause things to get worse. So, here I sit.

That said - as you can imagine, I can't hold any type of employment, mainly because the medication I take is unpredictable. There's times when I take it that I get extremely sleepy and have to take a nap. Not something an employer wants to endure.

So, enter my project and my obsession. I absolutely love my car. I want it to be exactly how I want it, nothing less. I don't want it to be a trailer queen, I just want it right and a daily driver.

As posted before, the mechanical stuff is done baiscally. There's a few odd and ends that need completed, however, it's road worthy.

Today ( and the last several weeks ) I have been visiting people in my area that are into resto/modding and taking on projects. These are few and far between because the real money is in what now is known as insurance chasers. Production work from insurance claims pays more and is by far a quicker turn around than taking on a resto project.

Today, I spoke to a fella that has done many mustangs. I went and seen a couple of his most recent projects and I have to say I was very impressed. He does this on the side as he is the main tech at the local GM shop here in town and that's where he makes his living.

We spoke in length today and finally came to what we believe to be a bottom line estimate on what I want done.

This is where the 10k or not to 10k subject line comes in. In his opinion, it will take 10k to do what I want. That's from tear down to final assembly and paint. Including him doing the interior. This is with me buying all the parts myself and doing alot of the leg work of chasing parts, etc.

Am I close? or am I like, way out of bounds in that estimate?

The 10k Includes :

Replacing Floor pans.
Replacing Both rear quaters.
Replacing Front Cowl.
Replacing Front Core Support.
Replacing Both door skins.
Replacing all weather stripping.
Replacing All chrome parts needed.
Replacing all Interior.
Replacing Misc front end parts. ( IE: Batter box, underneath Apron, etc.)
All Media blasting needed.
All labor materials. ( sand paper, etc. )
Prep for paint.
Paint.

There may be more I am missing,but this is the bulk of it.

Any ideas? comments, etc. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings, I've thick skin. Be straight with me. If I'm about to lose out on 10k, let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

1320stang said:
That's 10k on top of you buying parts? 5 figures, I'd get everything in writing and notorized.

That's 10k w/ everything. Me providing the parts and his labor. I'd basically have a rotissary (sp) job. Replacing all rust w/ new metal, interior and paint.

I've already had all the mechanical done.

You don't say what part of the country you're from so I'll state that for the Midwest that's a fair price. Cowl is usually $1600, qtr panel 750-1000 per, floors 1K (+-) media blasting 750. that leaves $5900 for the rest. Put it on paper and both sign it. (leave some room for the gotcha's there will be some when you talk that kind of reconstruction)

just the paint job i got on mine car including one lower quarter patch panel and a few small sheetmetal patches, with me doing all the disassembly work would normally run around 5K i got a deal because they used my car as filler work between other jobs. going by my experience 10K would seem to be a decent deal for all that sheetmetal replacement, plus paint job and interior too.

i've heard of people paying 10-15K for just that much sheetmetal work

not trying to split hairs, but you mentioned cowl replacement... is that patches, or complete replacement. (i just completed a complete replacement, and finding a good section is a real B%#&*! i lucked upon one in a boneyard in northern cali for 280.00 shipped to ohio) do an internet parts locator if you need a full section.