12" Subwoofer Enclosures

• Sponsors (?)

I tried to fit a full range rf box into my '00 gt trunk with no luck.. it was 2 12"s with 2 mids and 2 highs..

Not only did it not fit, there was literally no chance in hell it was going to fit.. I just wanted to hooch the box from my other car for a couple weeks to mess around with it but there was no way in hell to get that box in there..

Managed to fit a 2 8"s box under the rear deck quite easily with plenty of room to spare.. But it was a 12+ year old box n subs so after a week I hated it and threw it back in the garage for a friend to reuse the box in his prelude.

A 2 10"s box might fit.. It'd just that damn trunk opening leaves so little room for getting stuff in it makes it very frustrating :)

I have 1 12" box 1.2cu/ft coming via UPS today for the trunk now.. It'll definately fit and should slide under the rear deck no problems. In the end I decided this way I can always buy another 12" 1.2cu/ft box and have one on each side under rear deck, and when the seats pull down there would still be a bit of room (~56" minus the width of the 12"'s) in case I ever needed trunk space or something.

Then again I just use my truck for trunk space, the stang can barely take the groceries home after hitting the market with the wife.

Yeah I've had many problems finding a box that would fit. Where did you get your single box from? I know you can get them at a lot of places, but I was just curious where you got yours from. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it. :nice:

2 12s will fit fine...the problem is getting them into the trunk, as the trunk opening is rather small, as is the area behind the back seats. I just made two identical boxes for mine, and to put each in, I had to take out the spare/jack, and take off the hood latch and the trim around it. Even them, the boxes were touching both the front and back edges of the trunk as they went in.

Another option is to actually put the box together in the trunk...I've got a couple pics I can put up later if you want...

I've come to the conclusion...

JokerWylde said:
2 12s will fit fine...the problem is getting them into the trunk, as the trunk opening is rather small, as is the area behind the back seats. I just made two identical boxes for mine, and to put each in, I had to take out the spare/jack, and take off the hood latch and the trim around it. Even them, the boxes were touching both the front and back edges of the trunk as they went in.

Another option is to actually put the box together in the trunk...I've got a couple pics I can put up later if you want...

That I'm going to have to make my own box - gotta make it to the MFR's volume specifications, and finagle the dimensions around so that I can get it in and out of the trunk if needed.

I'm going with 1 12" w7 I think - that way I'm not giving up anything over 2 10's in the trunk now.

Here ya go...

subs.jpg

as you can see, I never got around to doing anything with the metal frame there...it's always covered anyway, as such:

Stereocover.jpg

That's the old equipment, though (was stolen).

Here's how it currently looks:

changer3.jpg

Need to make a real cover for the changer there, using a towel at the moment.

You can kinda see the angle on the face of the boxes in the last pic. That angle helps with the 12s, since the actual area available in there vertically is just over 13" if I remember correctly. Each box is around 1.2 cu. ft.

grodgers said:
That I'm going to have to make my own box - gotta make it to the MFR's volume specifications, and finagle the dimensions around so that I can get it in and out of the trunk if needed.

I'm going with 1 12" w7 I think - that way I'm not giving up anything over 2 10's in the trunk now.

Yeah, the first time I drew up the dimensions and everything, I forgot about the small opening, and had to start over. I ended up making a mock up box out of cardboard just to be sure everything was cool before I started cutting the mdf.

well i figured out how to fit...

JokerWylde said:
Yeah, the first time I drew up the dimensions and everything, I forgot about the small opening, and had to start over. I ended up making a mock up box out of cardboard just to be sure everything was cool before I started cutting the mdf.

ONE JL 12w7 in the trunk - sealed box size of 14(h)x13(d)x21.5(w) external dimensions should drop right in the trunk, and made out of 1" MDF, will provide exactly the net internal volume recommended by JL. I may play with the dimensions a bit to see if I can "reshape" it and get it to fit more compactly.

i have 2 jl 12 w3s in my 95 vert. i dont know the demensions of the box buts its 2.5ft3 internal volume. i had to take out the spare tire and drop one end down in there and then rotate it around sucked ass but it would be a pain in the but to steal. ANDY