12" w3 box question

1bad04GT

Jul 6, 2004
Lubbock, Texas
I have a JL 12" w3 and it is in a sealed truck box. now before you run for the torches and the pitchforks, thats all i could find as far as boxes go. what is the largest ported box I can fit in my 04's trunk. it has the 460 in it and removing the amps is not an option. should i invest 130$ and have one custom built inside the trunk? any advice4 is greatly appreciated. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I also have the same sub as yours(only one though). I built my own box, and the first one was way too big(would only fit if I removed the spare and pulled back the carpe, then I would put it in the spare and then left it up onto the rug. I wanted to have acess to my spare so I made the box smaller, and it BARELY fits(it still doesn't fit right, the sub face up rather than towards you when you open the trunk door.) I would go with a sealed because even though I'm breaking mine in and the base and volume are set low, it still pounds pretty well. If you want to know both specs of my box or have any questions just ask. Hope this helps.

Place that sub in 1.5 cubes tuned to 32 hz and try to tell me that sealed sounds better. I dare you. A PROPERLY built ported box will sound better to most people on most music. Unless you spend your time listening to pipe organs and orchestral tympanis, I can assure you that ported won't be a problem. Oh, and it's louder than sealed. So that's another reason to port if you're only using one driver.

Infinity02Zinc said:
Place that sub in 1.5 cubes tuned to 32 hz and try to tell me that sealed sounds better. I dare you. A PROPERLY built ported box will sound better to most people on most music. Unless you spend your time listening to pipe organs and orchestral tympanis, I can assure you that ported won't be a problem. Oh, and it's louder than sealed. So that's another reason to port if you're only using one driver.

i did do something like that in my pathfinder. the box i had was a slot proted 3 cuft box (tuned to 54 hz)for my power t1 15. it was loud as hell (139.5 on a bd 1000), but i built a 1.5 cuft sealed box cause i wanted some of my space back, and i actually think the sealed sounds better. it is just as loud (the ported box was 139.5 on negative 18 on the sub level, the sealed is on negative 8), and is more accurate, plus i can put all of my tools for work in there.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/627583/12

this page (twards the botom) shows the previous sub box, and the new one.

1hotz, the sealed sounds better in this case because your ported box was tuned at least an octave too high for any kind of sound quality. It'd be loud, but all truely low bass was not present due to the tuning frequency.

zincyellow03 said:
1hotz is your new sub box wrapped with vinyl? It looks kinda like mine, lol. Anyways, nice.

no actually it is just black carpet. it looks great in pics, but up close it's not that nice. i really don't care about the look of it though, it gets beat, badly.

Infinity02Zinc said:
1hotz, the sealed sounds better in this case because your ported box was tuned at least an octave too high for any kind of sound quality. It'd be loud, but all truely low bass was not present due to the tuning frequency.

my loudest was at 54hz, but i think the box was actually tuned to something differant, but i have no clue as to what it was. but i can tell you the port volume was .46 cuft, and after grabbing some measurements off the box it looks like the port was a total of 20&3/4 inches long (including the turn), 16&1/4 inches wide, and 2&1/2 inches tall. i don't know if that actually tells you anything, but it might.