120 mph Gauges in a GT?

97stocker4now

Dec 9, 2007
I bought my car used and it has 120mph gauges in it. I was looking for white faces for it and they tell me 120mph were for V6. Did somebody install these and should i have 150mph? And who makes the best white gauge faces? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

He could also tell from the VIN.

I forget what spot it is, but one of the letters is the engine code and will tell you what engine is supposed to be in the car.

I don' tknow what letters are what engine though.

The title says its a V8, the vin also. and when i insured it they knew by the vin it was a V8. So someone has change the gauges to a V6. interesting. So where do i find a gauge cluster for a V8, and do i need to recalibrate anything? I ran a carfax on it and it came back 2 owners and nothing funny? which white gauges do you guys use? Thanks

97stocker4now:

SpeedHut.com makes some overlays that do not require removal of the needles. I had them on my car and I really liked them. Eventually, I tired of the white gauges and went back to stock. The key is to use 1/4" square pieces of 2-way tape to hold the overlay (there are three pieces) in place. Once the cluster is put together, the tape is not really needed. You need to keep the tape out of the visible part of the overlay or it will show up as a slightly darker spot than the rest of the overlay. Even though the instructions say not to do it, I tapped into the illumination wire so I could turn the brightness up and down. Doing this can shorten the life of the overlay transformer so be warned.

Track down (PM) "Randy Stinchcomb" here and he should be able to find one for you. I don't know if the part is obsolete or not. You can also try "performancepartsinc.com", they are good guys and have a lot of hard-to-find parts.

HTH,

Chris