14" Saleen brakes - Why won't it fit 96-98 Mustang?

Back2Mustangs

Sep 2, 2004
http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services/SC101_Shopper/showItem.php?menuId=8&itemNum=091-024

The kit on Saleen's website says it only fits '99-'04 Mustangs. Why? I'm running an 18x9" FR500 in the front of a 96 Mustang, which will clear the 13" 2000 Cobra R brake kit and Roush/Alcon 14" kit... why won't Saleen's kit fit on any other Mustang besides '99-'04?

I already emailed Saleen but they didn't respond, and now I'm out of time to call them and ask.

• Sponsors (?)

IMO, for 3500 bux you can find a better kit than that.

You can get a 6 piston 14" Wilwood kit for 2 grand, which will fit and will outperform that kit.

But do you honestly need a 14" rotor? Most likely a 13" rotor will be more than enough with a 4 piston caliper.

I mainly only ask because I might be able to buy a new set of those calipers for a pretty good price, but if they won't fit I'll just do the 2000 Cobra R kit. I like the twisties, and I'm building a 600 RWHP powerplant for the car. I just want to be able to stop better than standard Cobra brakes will allow and avoid fade. Plus, I still haven't made up my mind yet on going manual steering and brakes to ditch the hydraboost and PS pump. I think with 14" brakes I'd feel secure with converting to manual brakes. I've looked at what everyone offers for brakes, and the 2000 Cobra R kit seems to be the best bang for the buck (as long as you don't pay more than $800.00 for it).

Well, it still may end up being cost prohibitive.

Ever price a 14", 2 piece rotor? :notnice: Come to think of it, I haven't seen a 14" rotor price yet (I don't think I want to either lol).

Even a 13" 2 piece rotor from a reputable manufacturer (Brembo, Baer, etc) is hella expensive (usually about 250 and up each).

But, like you said, if it won't fit there's no sense. I haven't seen the R kit for 800 though, have you?

I haven't seen the R kit for 800 though, have you?

Once in a blue moon, if you have the patience to spend the time looking. ;) Right now about the cheapest retail price that I know of on the R kit is at buyfordracing.com. But it can be found for less some days.

I tried to call Saleen today, but of course they are closed on Sundays. Oh well, maybe I'll try to get them on the phone Monday. If I find out for sure that their caliper (which is a Brembo 4-piston caliper) will fit on my car, then I can probably put together a 14" brake kit for about the cost of the Cobra R Kit. I know its alot of work and time digging for really good deals, but I have literally saved close to $8,000.00 on all the work I have done to this car so far... I have a ream of paper worth of receipts to prove it. :D

You know I have never made a list of aftermarket parts for a signature because I don't really have anything that important - just suspension, exhaust, and aesthetics. Maybe after the new longblock, blower and drive-train go in, I'll post a complete line-list of mods, price of each part and where I bought it.