14 x 7's or 15 x 8's?

Fifth_Beatle

Mar 25, 2004
Okay, I would like to upgrade my wheels to Magnum 500's. Right now, I have standard 14x7 wheels with Mach 1 covers on them. But the Magnums are just too enticing. My car is a 1970 coupe, and I was trying to get some feedback from other Mustang owners on which Magnum I should get, before I spend all that money. (Do it once, and do it right.)

First off, is it reasonable to assume that since I have a bigger (muscle car) Mustang, that there is plenty of room in the wheel well for 15x7's and 15x8's? Or, if I stick with the 14x7 size wheels, will it still look as "cool"? If I do upsize, if I remember corrently, I will have to swap out the speedometer-to-transmission gear. Is there anyone who has done a swap from 14x7 to 15x7, and knows exactly which gear accomplishes this?

Thanks,
~5B

• Sponsors (?)

Fifth_Beatle said:
Okay, I would like to upgrade my wheels to Magnum 500's. Right now, I have standard 14x7 wheels with Mach 1 covers on them. But the Magnums are just too enticing. My car is a 1970 coupe, and I was trying to get some feedback from other Mustang owners on which Magnum I should get, before I spend all that money. (Do it once, and do it right.)

First off, is it reasonable to assume that since I have a bigger (muscle car) Mustang, that there is plenty of room in the wheel well for 15x7's and 15x8's? Or, if I stick with the 14x7 size wheels, will it still look as "cool"? If I do upsize, if I remember corrently, I will have to swap out the speedometer-to-transmission gear. Is there anyone who has done a swap from 14x7 to 15x7, and knows exactly which gear accomplishes this?

Thanks,
~5B

Simply switching rims does not require a speedo gear swap. As long as the total outer diamter is close to factory size you will be fine...that means what ever size rim you use (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20), put a tire on it that will keep in the ball park of 26 inches OD.

In my sig is a link to a pretty comprehesive wheel chart for vinatge mustangs. It tracks what tires/wheels people are using and what mods they have done to their car that affect tire fitment.