140 mph speedo

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, look.. heres what you need to do... Buy a 90-93 Cluster Off of E-bay. It MUST BE FROM AN AIRBAG CAR! I got mine for $40, Then Disassemble BOTH clusters and make a cluster with the 4cyl Tach, and the 140mph Speedo. The v8 tach WILL NOT work as it will read Half actual RPMS. THEN if you want White faces Guages you must purchase 2 sets, One for a 4cyl (for the 6k tach) and 1 for a V8 (for the 140 speedo) Thats the ONLY way to make it all work. the V8 white face kit will have the wrong tach face, and the 2.3 kit will have the wrong speedo face. that is why both are required. The kit you showed is for a V8. The speedo WILL work, but the tach face WILL NOT. much cheaper to get stuff from Ebay.

Dr.

Just for reference, how is the V8 tach face different from a 4-cyl?

Also, does anyone have some good pictures of the electronics inside both tachometers? I suspect they use a standard air core processor and that the rev count is just altered with resistor values. I modded a Sun Super Tach II to work with 1, 2, and 4 cylinders by just changing some resistors.

65ShelbyClone said:
Just for reference, how is the V8 tach face different from a 4-cyl?

Also, does anyone have some good pictures of the electronics inside both tachometers? I suspect they use a standard air core processor and that the rev count is just altered with resistor values. I modded a Sun Super Tach II to work with 1, 2, and 4 cylinders by just changing some resistors.
7k for the v8 vs. 6k for the 2.3. You probably could mod the tach, but i just kept my 6k tach, the extra 1k rpm work of gauge didnt seem worth the trouble.

Dr.

Ok, look.. heres what you need to do... Buy a 90-93 Cluster Off of E-bay. It MUST BE FROM AN AIRBAG CAR! I got mine for $40, Then Disassemble BOTH clusters and make a cluster with the 4cyl Tach, and the 140mph Speedo. The v8 tach WILL NOT work as it will read Half actual RPMS. THEN if you want White faces Guages you must purchase 2 sets, One for a 4cyl (for the 6k tach) and 1 for a V8 (for the 140 speedo) Thats the ONLY way to make it all work. the V8 white face kit will have the wrong tach face, and the 2.3 kit will have the wrong speedo face. that is why both are required. The kit you showed is for a V8. The speedo WILL work, but the tach face WILL NOT. much cheaper to get stuff from Ebay.

wow, that is a lot of work, I may just keep what I got

stykthyn said:
wow, that is a lot of work, I may just keep what I got

If all you want is the 140, its not that much work, Its the white faces that are a pain. I kinda wanted white faces too, but that was going to be alot of work. I love having the 140, espically with the turbo, here is what mine looks like, its a bad picture to show the speedo, but its the 4cyl tach, and the v8 speedo.

DSC01927Medium.jpg

Dr.

Attachments

• DSC01927Medium.jpg
    DSC01927Medium.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 85