$145 good for Tranny flush? {fluid}

dirty slut

Nov 12, 2005
Ford ays they will drain the tranny fluid and refill it for $145, is that a good price? If they ask me if I want that fluid that does a "deep cleaning" should I get it?
I have no idea when the last time the previous owner flushed the transmission fluid, if ever. It has 100k miles on it. I also dont know what Fluid is in there right now. Should I just put the OEM fluid in there? Will it be ok to put the OEM fluid in there even if the previous owner put synthetic in there:shrug:

Thanks all!!!!!!

edit: T-5 tranny

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have an AOD or a T-5? it took me all of 30 minutes to drain my old fluid out, and put new fluid in. you will get several different types of fluid recommendations, and i still use the red line lube. I had a whining issue after missing 3rd several times. it was so loud that people thought i had a gear drive or supercharger.. i changed it out to the red line, and it quieted it down considerably. Also, if you have an AOD, i know taht there are some trannys that you arent supposed to use a power flush on. If you do have them do it, and you have an AOD, make sure they change the filter out as well.

$145 is way too much if you are changing the oil in a t-5. It takes about 2.5 quarts of fluid and not more than about .5 hours to do. Do it yourself, provide the gear oil to the dealership, or go somewhere else and have it done.

It's the Automatics where you can't get all the fluid out because when you drop the pan, there's still some fluid in the torque converter. You need a machine to pump it out and replace it with new fluid.

On the T-5, you just undo the drain plug, (passenger side i think) and let it all drain out, then refill it through the fill plug, (passenger side). If you do a search, there are plenty of tips and tricks on how to make filling it easier. Personally, I use some clear plastic tubing, run it down through the engine bay and through the tranny tunnel, and stick it in the fill plug, then pour the ATF in through the top.

I think 145 is WAY too much for that. I got an estimate on changing the fluid on my explorer's auto tranny a while ago, not from Ford, but a local place wanted 120 to do a complete flush of it, which includes like 9 quarts of fluid.

Take it to an instant oil change shop if you don't have the capabilty to do it yourself. They will charge you like $30.00 or $40.00 to drain and refill your transmission.

thats insane.........ok first, do the aod's have a converter drain plug on them??

if it's a t-5, just change it, run it for a week, change it again, problem solved. as for an aod, same thing.......change it, run it for a few days, then change it again should be fine........if it has a converter drain plug on it that would help....yeah your going through more fluid but your also saving 75 bucks.....just my 2 cents

In case there was confusion, T5's use ATF.

As an aside, one can even do a home flush pretty effectively on an automatic - it would be my choice over having someone else do it. The system holds 13-15 quarts (converter can hold half of that).

Ok, looks like Ill be doin it myself, thanks guys!!!! So do I need to get a replacement gasket or what? And can I just go to my local AutoZone and get Automatic Transmission Fluid and change it.

Also, no one answered my question as to what fluid to use b/c I dont know what the previous owner put in. If they did put some sort of sythetic like Redline, can I just put regular old Automatic Transmission Fluid in it?

As always, thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

i hate atf types..........there's gonna be dextron xxxvI by the time we are old men........
you don't wanna use type F that was for the older stuff.........you wanna use the dextron 2 atleast i believe, i think you can use the dextron 3 with mercon......

did any one ever figure out if the stock aod converters have a drain plug in them???

All you need is the fluid and time nothing else. That is why the dealer price is just way to high! Need about three quarts. Redline synthetic 1MTLQ wil cost you about $8 per quart. I think Ford says to use dexron III atf. Valvoline DEXRON® III/MERCON® MaxLife ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid costs about half that. I like the synthetic for an extra $12! Total price of job should not exceed $25 plus labor.

the ford shop manual says Dexron II Series D 2.6 Liters - not sure how many quarts that is, but I think I only needed 3 bottles of it and I wanna say it comes in quarts.

I used B & M Stick Shift synthetic tranny fluid - it was about $8-10 a bottles.

TheUser said:
the ford shop manual says Dexron II Series D 2.6 Liters - not sure how many quarts that is, but I think I only needed 3 bottles of it and I wanna say it comes in quarts.

I used B & M Stick Shift synthetic tranny fluid - it was about $8-10 a bottles.

I think they upgraded to Dexron III now days. How do you like your clutch? Just put in a KC and I love mine cause it shifts so much smoother than the stocker. I put on 110,000 miles on the stock one but its action was so heavy even with my Brothers Quadrant and HD cable kit. Now it feels like it is servo assisted.

For the T-5 there are two plugs on the passenger (right) side of the housing. The top one is the check/fill plug. The bottom is the drain. There are no gaskets required for a T-5 drain / fill

Tools that you will need:

1. 3/8" drive ratchet and extension (no sockets)
2. Some sort of funnel / tube arrengement or pump to get the fluid in the fill hole.

Insert the socket / extension into the top plug and remove. Check the level and then remove the drain.
Simply take some hose (garden hose if will) and cut off both ends. Stick the one end into the fill hole and snake the other one up throught the engine bay or out by the passenger door. Stick the funnel in the other end of the hose and pour away. I don't have the amount required, but stop when it reaches the top hole (if you go over the hole allow that to drain to the bottom of the fill/check hole)

Make sure you put the drain plug back in before refilling.

As for the type of fluid: Dex 3 w/ Mercon (sp?) regular if you are on a budget or the expensive stuff if not. My favorite brand is Valvoline.